19. Safe and Sound

19. Safe and Sound

My legs trembled. That was perhaps the closest to death I had ever been since the bombing of 12.

I had almost died.

I looked back to Peeta, who looked like he was quivering himself. He had just saved my life.

My legs buckled under me, Gale was there to support me.

“You aren’t hurt, are you?” he asked me, panicking. I shook my head, I was pretty sure I didn’t get hurt.

“I thought you couldn’t shoot,” Katniss murmured to Peeta.

“That was a lucky shot,” Peeta huffed.

“Very lucky, I’d say.”

“Can we not just stand here in awe by his first kill?” Gale chimed. “As amazing as that is, we need to get out of here, right now.” He grabbed me by my wrist and pulled me to my feet as we headed out.

We were instantly blinded by darkness. Cold air pierced through me, making me release a shudder. Fierce growling from behind us warned us another mutt was in pursuit. The siren wails were muffled only just before a loud shatter told us that the mutt had broken through the doors.

The ground vibrated slightly as the mutt pounded its way to us. Peeta whipped around to quickly shoot the mutt. He missed and got its paw. The mutt jumped back and immediately tried to dislodge the arrow.

I gestured for Peeta to hand the bow and arrow over. He tossed me both, and quickly I ended the mutt’s life. I couldn’t see the mutt, but I knew it was dead, there were no pursuing footfalls. That was the second kill I made. Score two for me, zero for the mutts.

We all made our way behind the side of a building.

“How are we getting out of here?” Katniss whispered as she bent down on her knees, panting.

“We’ve got a hovercraft waiting,” Peeta told her.

“How far is it?”

“Shouldn’t be too far if we are where I think we are.”

 “We better leave now before Peacekeepers seek us out. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I think I’ve had enough fighting for one night.”

Everybody started to move ahead except for me. I felt something trickling—no, pouring—against my skin. Blood pounded in my ears, I felt like I was falling.

I fell backwards, but somehow someone got behind me before I could collide with the ground. I shut my eyes to focus better; I could hear panicking feet around me.

“What’s wrong with her?” Gale panicked. He was on my right, Katniss on my left. I assumed Peeta was holding me upright. I gritted my teeth as the cold attacked me in my vulnerable state. “Katrina? Look at me.”

I panted.

“She couldn’t tell you what’s wrong if she wanted to,” Katniss hissed. “Wait…what’s that, on her shirt?”

“He got her,” Gale snarled. “He still got her.”

“I thought he missed,” Peeta complained.

“I guess in the frenzy he got his lucky shot.”

“No, don’t touch it,” Katniss said to me. She held my left wrist firmly.

“How bad is it?” Peeta asked.

“Pretty bad.”

“We’ve got to cover it up with something at least to slow the bleeding,” Gale suggested. “If we don’t, she won’t make it.”