23: Ease on Down the Road

9:45 A.M.

Wayne, Michael, Alessandra, Monette and Anton are all together driving on I-10 in Wayne's large, black SUV. Michael strips off his disguise, but keeps on his shades. Wayne and Michael were up front, while Alessandra and Anton sat beside each other and Monette riding in the back.

Anton laughs," Hee hee, you looked funny!"

" I did, didn't I?" Michael chuckled. "Whew!"

"Michael, come on man," Alessandra whines. "Where are we going?"

"Like I said, Ali," Michael states, "It's a surprise. In the meantime, you just sit back, relax and enjoy the ride."

"Michael, I swear you be killin' me," Alessandra crosses her arms with a smirk. "Wayne, can you tell us where we're going?"

"Sorry, ma'am," Wayne smiles, "Boss declares that I shall not reveal our destination until our arrival."

"Oooooh, I can't stand y'all!" Alessandra is growing more and more anxious.

Michael and Wayne smile at each other. Anton looks out the tinted window with wonder, showing Mr. Teddy the sights. Monette on the other hand, has her hands crossed, looking out of the rear window, remaining silent. Wayne notices this as he peeks through his rearview mirror. He attempts to make conversation.

"So, you are...Monette...right?" Wayne asked her.

"Yeah," Monette said flatly.

"Wow, I swear if Alessandra got a haircut and dyed her hair, the two of you could be practically twins." Wayne smiles at her, but Monette is unfazed.

"Gee, thanks," She mutters with a dry shyness.

Alessandra looks out of the window, biting her lip at the awkwardness. Michael is tapping his right foot, anxiously.

"Well, you seem awfully quiet back there," Wayne calls to her. "Sleepy?"

"No...not really." Monette answered.

"In fact, we all seem a little quiet. Say, I got an idea. Why don't I put some tunes on? Y'all mind?"

"Nah," says Michael.

"Sure," Alessandra says flatly.

"Yaaaay!" Anton cheered.

"Fine by me." Monette said quietly.

Wayne turns on the radio. Michael and Anton playfully sing along to the song while Alessandra and Monette look out of the window in opposite directions.

____________________

An hour and a half later,

Somewhere in Central California

The gang arrives in a remote, woodland location. Everybody except Michael and Wayne are looking out of the window with curiosity. As they travel the long dirt road, Alessandra asks Michael, " Michael I swear I'm a need me some open heart surgery by time I'm done with you. Where in the hell are we going?"

"No worries, Ali," Michael said with a smile, "We are almost there."

They now arrive at a sing that read:

They pull up in front of a gentleman in khaki sorts and a forest green golf shirt with the Shady Pines logo on the right side. He had a short, blonde crew cut and looked like he was in very good shape. Michael steps out of the car, followed by Wayne, Alessandra, Anton and Monette.

Michael walks up to the man with a familiar greeting, "John!"

"What's up, Michael?" John gives Michael dap. John then notices Michael's company. "Oh, and who do we have here?"