Capture

Kanan was teaching Ezra how to better control the force out in the bright sunlight. They had been shut up in the Ghost for days, hiding from the Empire, so the open air was a welcome relief. Unfortunately, it did little to improve their tempers.

"You're not focusing," Kanan said, folding his arms as he watched his padawan struggle.

"I'm trying!" Ezra complained, losing his concentration. The pile of rocks he had been levitating fell to the ground.

"Kanan! Can you come in here please?" Hera called from inside the Ghost. Ezra and Kanan both turned to look in that direction.

"I'll be right there!" Kanan called back. He turned to Ezra with a stern look in his eyes. "Stay focused and keep practicing."

"Can't I take a break?" Ezra begged. "I've been stuck inside forever!"

"You can take a break when you've learned to control yourself and focus," Kanan said. He went inside, leaving Ezra alone to practice. Ezra glared at his receding back.

"I'm never good enough for you," he muttered under his breath. Ezra closed his eyes and used the force to hurl a small rock as far as he could. It vanished in the tall grass. He opened his eyes again while grinning with satisfaction.

"See?" he said, more to himself than anyone else. "I can focus just fine."

He turned around and headed back towards the Ghost. Something came flying through the air and smacked the back of Ezra's head. He spun and glanced around. The rock he had thrown with the force just moments before was on the ground at his feet. He picked it up and slowly walked in the direction he had thrown it.

"Hello?" Ezra called. No one answered him.

"Zeb? I know it's you," Ezra shouted. "This isn't funny!"

A yellow net of electricity erupted from a patch of nearby grass, catching Ezra off-guard. He felt electrical pain course through him. When it was over, he collapsed to the ground. Since he was unconscious, he did not see the Transoshian stand up from where he had been hiding. He didn't see the Trandoshian put his rifle back in a sling on his back. And he didn't see or feel the Trandoshian pick him up and begin walking away as he grinned to himself.

"A Jedi youngling," the Trandoshian said happily. "We haven't had one in the hunting grounds since before the Empire. This hunt will be the best yet."

---

Ezra opened his eyes to a throbbing pain in his head and the sound of a loud engine. He slowly sat up, glancing around.

He was in a cage. The bottom of the cage looked like it swung outwards. The cage was fused to the inside of the dirty ship. Other cages were lined up, but they were all empty.

The bottom of the cage slid open, sending Ezra tumbling to the sandy beach below. He stood up, brushed himself off, and glanced around.

He was on a pale sandy beach. One on side of the beach was an ocean of dark blue liquid. On the other side was a strange slightly glowing forest. Up above the dark ship glinted in the faint moonlight.

The ship backed up slightly. Bright spotlights shone down on Ezra. He could see a reptilian Trandoshian at the controls. It grinned, revealing needle sharp teeth. Then it pressed a button, discharging the cannons in Ezra's direction. Ezra instinctively reached for his lightsaber, but it was gone. He felt around for his energy slingshot, but that had vanished as well. With no other options, Ezra turned and ran into the forest that lined the beach.

As he ran, he tried to figure out what had happened. He guessed that he had been captured by the Trandoshian. He couldn't imagine why he had been captured and released here, only to be shot at moments later.

Ezra ran until he couldn't run any more. Then he climbed a tall tree and made himself as comfortable as he could on a sturdy branch. He wasn't sure what had happened or why he was here, but he was sure that Kanan and the others knew that he was missing, and that they were probably on their way to rescue him at that moment.