Chapter 3: After Everything

I easily survive the rest of the week with Bam and his friends. Alex and Ryan even show up a few times to give us company. Towards the end of the week, Bam isn’t limping anymore. He takes less pain killers and hardly needs my assistance at all. I’m starting to think Bam wanted an excuse to be with me for a whole week, but I’m not complaining. We spend most of our time watching movies, listening to music, and making out. It’s such a difference with my past relationships. I’m used to going on formal dates and feeling awkward and uncomfortable, like I can’t be myself. With Bam, I can. We’re so comfortable around each other and I can act normally. He’s definitely the best guy I’ve ever been with.

            Then, two weeks later, I’m lying in my bed, wearing Bam’s hoodie, scented with his cologne, wondering what the fuck happened. My birthday is in two days, and I have no plans. I assumed I’d be spending the day with Bam but he hasn’t called or texted me all day. If something happened to him, I’m sure Ryan would tell me, but he hasn’t called either. Alex is out of the house, probably with Ryan, and I’m completely alone. I just really miss Bam.

            I decide to call Ryan, just to make sure Bam is okay. Maybe Savehis phone broke? I sit up on my bed and lean against the backboard, picking at the strings on my blanket. The phone is pressed against my ear and the rings on the other line seem to last an eternity.

            “Dunn.” He says, finally picking up.

            For some reason, hearing Ryan’s voice makes me feel slightly better.

            “Hey, Ryan. It’s Ellie.” I reply.

            “What’s up, Ellie?” He asks.

            “Um,” I stutter, feeling like this is such a bad idea.

            Will I look like an overprotective girlfriend? Or selfish? I just want to know Bam isn’t mad at me for something and that he’s fine.

            “I was just wondering if you had heard from Bam today?” I ask.

            “Yeah, he called me this morning, why?” He replies.

            I don’t know how to feel. I know he’s okay, but that also means his phone isn’t broken. He’s not talking to me by choice.

            “Oh, I just haven’t heard from him all day.” I say, my stomach sinking.

            “Really? That’s weird.” He replies, a forced tone to his voice.

            This whole situation is so fucking sketchy.

            “Are you with Alex?” I ask.

            “Nope.” He replies.

            “Okay, well thanks for letting me know you’ve heard from Bam.” I say, then hang up, confused and angry all at the same time.

            “What the fuck.” I mumble under my breath.

            I get out of bed and pull on some jeans and shoes. I’ve been lying in bed most of the afternoon, hoping for a reply from Bam. The sun has already set. As I get ready to leave the apartment, Alex walks into the door. She looks as happy as a retriever when she sees me.

            “Hey! Where are you going?” She asks.

            “Where am I going? Alex, you’ve been gone all day.” I retort, not in the mood.