Chapter VIII

Chapter VIII

~*~

As damp and dark Constance’s mood may be when she woke up, her spirits rose as their coaching started for singing was a passion of hers, but she thrived in poetry so she’ll probably have to make up for it with her voice.  

She walked with Marcelle, Laetitia and Elise who liked the fact that Constance wasn’t crying for a while, and replied brightly.  

“Well this is unusual.” Marcelle said, narrowing her eyes slightly.  

“How so?” Constance asked.  

“Firstly, you are not crying. Secondly, you replied brightly, not in the usual monotone. What possessed you?” Marcelle said and Laetitia and Elise giggled.  

“We are finally finished with dancing, so I don’t spend time with that dunce. We will proceed to singing and I quite excel at that, not to brag or anything.”  

“Ooooohh, a nightingale in our midst. Give us proof.” Elise coaxed Constance. The other nodded and she had no excuse left, so she sang.  

She sang in a melodious voice, not high-pitched and in falsetto, and though it was choir-like it was very beautiful and very much like a nightingale indeed. Her friends clapped as she finished, and her face blushed tomato-red.  

“You should not be ashamed of your talents, Mademoiselle Delacroix. Talents can take you a long way in court.” Monsieur Gilles appeared, apparently hearing Constance sing. Constance blushed in an even deeper red.  

“Showing talents equal to bragging in other’s eyes.” Constance said.  

“Well, let them be. There are many who admire you and your talents compared to the few who don’t. I say it’s jealousy that makes their attitude towards you to be like that.”  

“Thank you, Monsieur. I shall keep your advice in mind.” Constance smiled at his instructor.  

“Isn’t Monsieur such an encouraging instructor? And I agree with him; you should not be ashamed for talents can do you good in court, especially if the Queen likes it. You could be catapulted to be a lady-in-waiting.” Laetitia said, her eyes gleaming.  

“I know, but I do hope that no one will dislike or hate me for what I am doing.”  

“Goodness knows they’re jealous. They just can’t admit it to themselves.”  

“If you say so.” Constance shrugged as they continued their coaching.

~*~

It turns out that Madame Noemi is a marvellous singer herself, her voice reaching from the lowest point and the others could swear it was a man talking had she not worn women clothing, and to the highest pitch, but this did not break their ears.  

They sang a song honouring the monarchs of the past and their attractive attributes and contributions to the country that made a lasting impression.  

It was a simple for Constance to do, yet other found it hard to reach a high pitch without breaking glass.  

“Do not drink cold water, for this will damage your voice.” She advised them.

“Do not drink ale or wine. Aside from the fact it is not allowed for people your age, it will do no good to your voice and will worsen any problems you have.”  

“We will alternate with each coaching. Today will be singing, tomorrow will be poetry and so on and so forth.” Madame Tourgesse said, and they were dismissed.