After a while, her rich tan complexion began fading, and her stride slowed. Corbin had seen the look many times before. Especially out in the wasteland, away from cities with potable water. He counted the seconds it would take for her to collapse. When he got to forty-seven, her eyes fluttered, and like a car crash, her body hit the sand with a hard thud.

Most people wouldn't feel bad for their abductor, but it was the way she laid there—small and fragile—he had to say something. If not, the image of her crumpled body on the hot sand would follow him, and the guilt would build like a water-torture drip. He already lived with many regrets, so he needed to help her—but did he?

With his mind made up, he began squirming like a fish on a reel.

"What the hell!" Armis shouted and brought Corbin down from his shoulder with a slam.

"Ouch!"

"What is your problem?" Armis demanded.

"Aside from the obvious," Corbin scoffed. "Look!"

He nodded towards Everleigh's limp body as she lay sideways with her right arm strewn across her head and legs in a pretzel-like contortion. Gasping sharply, Armis flew the five feet to her and knelt to pat her face, muttering Spanish curse words under his breath.

"Everleigh. Damn it. I told you to eat!"

Thinking quickly, Corbin worked the coarse rope back and forth, the sharp fibers cutting tiny slits in his skin as his heart thumped rapidly against his ribcage. He was so close to freedom, but a nagging voice in the back of his mind shouted that abandoning the siblings in their time of need was heartless. However, it wouldn't be the first or last time he skipped out on someone. People only cared about what he could do for them, but not about him as a person.

Over the years, he learned to abandon people before they could disappoint him. It was better to wander alone. No attachments and never having to worry about a companion slitting his throat in the night.

As the rope began to loosen, he pushed aside those thoughts—his freedom so much closer.

But then a familiar tingle stopped him from focusing on the rope. Water was nearby!

"Untie me," he shouted. "I can get her water."

Armis glanced over his shoulder. "I'm no dummy. You'll just run."

"Scout's honor, I will not do that!"

Sweat glistened across Armis's forehead as he glanced back at Everleigh, panic dripping down his face. "Come on, baby Sis. Come on." He patted her face. "You stupid, stupid girl! I told you to eat. I told you."

"There's water close," Corbin shouted again. "I can get it for her."

Skyrocketing to his feet, Armis flipped his cape back and brought his callused hand to the gun on his hip, cocking the hammer. "Promise you won't run away?"

"Promise." Corbin nodded.

"Look at her." Armis pointed behind him, his voice deep and raw, and Corbin knew better than to defy a man as desperate as him. "Her life is in your hands, so if you abandon her, I will hunt you down and kill you. I'm an excellent hunter too. Understand?"

"Yes," Corbin replied.

The man wasted no time untying him, and with just as much urgency, Corbin pumped his feet toward the water source. Armis followed behind him at a slower pace with Everleigh in his arms and the hot orange sun on their backs. Her head dangled, causing her dark hair to cascade like shimmering water over his arm.

As Corbin ran, the tug in his hands intensified, which meant the water was near, but where was it? A few feet ahead, a small patch of dry plant life shined under the descending sun—giving him the answer he needed.