Chapter 1

My fingers drew patterns on the car window as the rain came crashing down from the skies. It reminded me of when my mum use to drive the car and I was a little girl drawing pictures on the window as we waited in the traffic. I would tell my mum to look at all the pictures I drew. Mum would funnily enough give me a full ten out of ten for my drawing. Although looking back I don't think I would quite agree with my mums judgement.
Today was my mums death anniversary. It had been 15 years since she passed away. I was only seven when she died in a car accident on her way home from work. Life has been difficult without my mum. But my dad never let me down. I'm not gonna say he was like my mum and dad put together. Because no one could take her place. However my dad has been there for me through all the most difficult times in my life. I was on my way now to meet my dad in hospital. He had gotten cancer two years ago. He fought strong though all the pains. I took care of him how he had taken care of me. But now doctors said he could leave anytime. He had only days left. Only I couldn't bare to imagine a world without him. Mum was bad enough, I wasn't sure I could handle another parent leaving me. However for now I was going to remain strong for my dad.

Just before going to the hospital, I had planned to meet my mum at the grave yard. Soon I arrived and I made my way towards her grave. As I approached her grave I sat down. "Hi mum. How's life in heaven. I really miss you. I wish you were here with me. I drew another picture on my car window. I wish you could see it and tell me what I scored out of ten", I let out a short laugh. I sat in silence remembering the days when she was alive. A few tears came out. The cold air was making me colder. And slowly the rain was starting to come down again. "Well mum, I'm gonna go, I'll be back soon. I promise. Hopefully it won't be raining next time", as I said my last goodbye I got up and made my way out of the graveyard. I noticed another man sitting at a grave too. He sat in the rain and let it soak him. He just stared at the grave. I was contemplating on wether I should approach him. I decided to go to him. As I got nearer I sat on my knees and looked at him. His eyes were all red from his crying. His clothes where soaked and sticking to him. "Who was she?" I asked as I read the name Sienna Santos on the grave stone . "She was my baby sister. She was all I had, and now I have no one", he cried out. I put my hand around his shoulder to comfort him. "I know the pain of loosing her is unbearable. And I won't lie that it gets better. But you have to stay strong. Smile, at least if not for you, but for her. Just imagine how sad she would be to see you like this", I said to him. He looked at me and then hugged me for dear life. I hugged him back and we stayed like that for a while. Eventually when he pulled away he said, "thank you ," he then stood up. We both walked out towards our cars. Before getting in I told him to never give up even if it feels like your world is falling apart. Be strong and be brave.
"Oh and my name is Ariana by the way. Hope we meet again sometime," I said. " I'm Carlos. And yeah I'll guess I'll see you around," he said with a smile. I smiled back and got in my car and drove off. It was clear that so many people out there in the world were swallowed into darkness because so many lights in their life had went out. And I guess I was still looking for my light. A light that would pull me out of this sad and bitter life.