chapter twenty-two

kari's pov

it was lunch break and sammy was waiting for me to put some of my books back in my locker, before we headed to the school cafeteria.

"hey," he suddenly nudged me. "look who's coming".

sammy gestured down the hallway and i noticed johnson casually walking with a few books in his hand - i bit on the skin of my top lip, as i recited what sammy agreed to yesterday.

"sam, are you sure that you're-"

"yes, i said it's fine. now wrap your arms around my neck" he ordered and i quickly followed his demand. soon i felt his hands swoop around my waist, as we both pretended to laugh at one another's jokes and flirt excessively.

johnson stopped at his locker that was on the opposite side of the wall, and ignored our actions.

i sighed and removed my arms from sammy's neck, "forget it. he's seen this all before".

"yeah, but not this" he replied and without giving me a chance to question what he meant, sammy forcefully attached his lips onto mine.

at first, i froze at his sudden action and widened my eyes, but i eventually caught up with my fast past and began to move my lips in sync with his.

sammy's hands softly caressed my cheeks until they migrated down to my hands and held them carefully above my head, and against the locker.

the further we continued, my eyes fluttered shut and the last thing on my mind was whether johnson was watching or not. instead, i was focused on how sammy's tongue gently glided across my bottom lip and begged for entrance.

eventually, we heard a locker being slammed aggressively and sammy gradually pulled away.

my eyes embarrassingly took their time to open again but when they did, i helplessly stared at sammy as i struggled to regain my natural breathing.

i gazed into his brown eyes - my heart continuing to race and my body heating up from how flustered i was right now.

but something was different. this time, i was looking him in the eyes and butterflies circled inside my stomach, every time i struggled to look away.

"i think i deserve an oscar for that performance" sammy chuckled.

i tried my best to do the same as i turned to shut my locker, "yeah, me too".

once we entered the cafeteria, sammy and i went to sit at the table with just nate and chantelle, since everyone's lunchtime seating arrangements were still separated into two.

i sat down beside chantelle, as nate sat opposite and sammy came to gently pat my back, letting my heart slightly race at his touch.

"hey kari, i'll go and get your lunch for you," he told me and i sweetly smiled at his gesture, before he left to queue up.

from beneath the table, i pulled out my phone and tapped the messages icon - i silently texted chantelle: code blue and her phone vibrated before she read the text and glimpsed at me.

"uh, nate can you go and get me an apple please?" chantelle politely asked him as he sat with his mouth stuffed with mac and cheese.