14. A Helping Thief

Start from the beginning

      Airic seemed amused, “You two singlehandedly managed to sneak into the Royal Assembly Hall, steal something from someone—obviously someone important—and then got out of it alive; and you need my help?”

      Airic was just playing with them now, Cinnia knew it, “Please.  It’s a win-win for us all.”

     “Alright, no questions asked,” Airic finally said, “Leave the planning to me, it’s what I do best,” He paused to flash his teeth in a cocky smile, “But you three will have to wait until evening.  Now, I might as well treat my guests kindly.  Anyone hungry?”  He turned to descend down a small stairway leading to a wooden door after sending Adorno and Kieran warning glances.

     When Airic had disappeared behind the still-ajar door, Kieran hurried across the near-empty room to the dusty couch.  He sat between them and glanced towards the door, “He’s still listening, I bet.  Waiting for us to give something away. . .” Kieran’s teeth gritted.

     “Kieran, will the Captain wait that long?  I mean, until night.”

     Kieran sighed, “I surely hope so. . .I told him I’d have you back my evening.  He should wait. . .”

     The wooden door nearly flew open and Airic returned with a dusty silver platter.  In a grime-free patch in the middle of the platter he had laid out four slices of dark bread, each with a slice of holed cheese.  Covered in dust, yet still visible, was a coat of arms consisting of a lion head and two, crossed guns.  Underneath the coat of arms were the two cursive letters ‘R.S’ and Cinnia knew immediately that this platter was a stolen good.  “Everything else was mouldy.” He said with a smile.

     Cinnia’s instincts told her not to accept.  Don’t eat a potential enemy’s food, She thought to herself, as if remembering a warning from her youth.  But the grumble in her stomach gave her away; she hadn’t eaten in many hours.  Airic noticed their hesitation and told them, as if to assure them nothing was wrong with the sandwiches, “We’re family, remember?”

     Cinnia reluctantly grabbed one of the sandwiches.  She couldn’t help but think that Airic must know nothing about family.  Sometimes they’re the ones who stab you in the back, she thought, feeling bile rise from her throat as she suddenly thought of her abandoned mother.  First her father had run away, and now Cinnia had.  Was Cinnia much better than a whore after all?  She swallowed her guilt along with her first bite of the stale bread and tasteless cheese.

      *     *     *

     “Are you three ready to leave?” Airic asked with arms crossed, an eyebrow raised, and an expecting look plastered on a smug face.  “We won’t be going through the city.  Well not really through the city.  We’ll be going under it.  I hope you guys like the smell of sewage.” He smirked and walked them through a narrow hallway leading to the back of the house.  Each floorboard creaked from old age and neglect with every step that each of them took.  The gray walls were bare, and not a single piece of furniture was within eyesight.

They eventually reached a wooden door that descended a mere three steps from floor-level.  He bent down to pick up a lantern before turning to them, “I suggest you three keep quiet now.  At least until we’ve reached the sewer.  And please, don’t protest,” He looked at Adorno and Kieran meaningfully.

Airic lead the three out through the wooden door that opened to a back street.  Here, the buildings were so standing so closely that only one person could walk between them, and even then, their shoulders would almost brush up against the old brick.  Cinnia could still hear that the streets were busy, even though the barrier of houses separated them from the crowds.