Chapter Nine

Chapter 9

~Cobra's POV~

After talking with Kona for a while she leaves to go sit with her family and I stretch in the last few minutes that I have before my match begins.

"Our next match is Inferno Lavaflow of the Fire element versus Cobra Rock of the Earth element!" Gilder announces, and I step out into the arena, my staff in hand.

I look across the arena at Inferno, who looks a little worn out, but just as determined as before.

"Guards up!" I step out into an evenly balanced fighting position and hold my staff in a defensive position, knowing that Inferno always shoots a fire arrow first.

"Elements ready!" Inferno draws his bow string back, creating a fire arrow as he does.

"Fight!"

I side step and swing my staff vertically towards Inferno, making a shockwave like effect happen on the ground and head towards him. He jumps over the shock wave and shoot another arrow at me. I dodge the arrow and run, zigzagging, towards Inferno.

If I can get close to him, I know I can take him out. Not to mention he's worn out from his previous matches, and he has to deal with the bruises and wounds from earlier. Honestly they should've given him at least ten more minutes, just to make it a little more fair.

Then again, battles are rarely fair.

I leap out of the way of an arrow, and launch myself up into the air, using my element. I bring up several spikes of rock and split them up making them smaller. I then shoot them at Inferno, who runs dodging most of them and blocking the others with his bow and arms.

I land on the ground and roll to absorb the impact. I bring up my staff and swing it at Inferno, creating another shockwave.

Hmm...I need to get closer and box him in, but I can't make it obvious.

I roll out of the way when he shoots fire at me, but to my surprise, he makes it follow my movements and hit my arm. I grit my teeth as pain flares along my left arm, which was bare of any protection except for my gauntlet. I can't really afford to get burned more if I am to win this.

I stand and create a wall of rock to help protect me from his fire. And just in time too, as fire hits it moments later. I suddenly get a brilliant idea and stomp on the ground, shooting spikes up from the ground in a straight path towards Inferno. I then tap the ground with the end of my staff, creating a hole, just large enough for me to slip into. I slip into the hole and cover it. I wait a moment for my eyes to adjust to the darkness before creating a tunnel till I'm right behind Inferno. I spread out my senses and make my rock wall grow spikes and shoot them at him. I use the distraction to shoot myself out of the ground.

Inferno whips around, eyes wide in shock, and brings up his bow, just blocking my staff from knocking him out. I hear several gasps from the nearby crowd as there's a sudden crack and Inferno's bow breaks where my staff hit it.

I move quickly, knowing I have him off guard, and sweep his feet out from under him. He lands flat on his back and tries to roll away, but I stop him with a line of rock spikes. I put the end of my staff against his neck and apply a little bit of pressure to let him know I wasn't kidding.

He freezes and stares at me for a moment, amazement and a newfound respect in his eyes. He then slowly raises his left hand and forms a fist.

The crowds go wilds, shouting and clapping, as I remove my staff from his neck and help him up.

"The winner of this match is Cobra Rock!" Gilder announces.

"Good match," I say, smiling.

"Yeah, I had no idea that you were that good with your element!" he says, grinning before extinguishing all his fire.

"Thanks, you're pretty good yourself," I nod and make the arenas ground level again. "I'm sorry about your bow..."

"Eh, it's ok. I was going to get a new one after the tournament anyways."

"Oh, ok."

"Good luck on your next match," he says as he turns and heads out of the arena. I nod and turn, walking out of the arena. I hope I win this next match, because if I do, I win the tournament.

"The next and final match will be between Cobra Rock of the Earth element, and Areona Mintleaf of the Plant element!" Gilder announces, "The match will begin in thirty minutes!"