Chapter Fourteen

Kylo walked into his study only to find Shira dead to the world on a couch. He smiled to himself, watching her peaceful resting face. Lately, she had been attending more board meetings, even though she kind of hated it. They made her feisty, specially after arguing with General Hux so much, so she always took a nap after to get it off her mind.

He sat on a corner of the couch and stroked her hair. Her eyes fluttered open, and she smiled as they met his.

"Hey," Shira mumbled.

"Hey,"

"How long have I been asleep?" she asked, sitting down and making room for him. He rested back on the couch and wrapped an arm around her.

"About an hour." Kylo replied. She closed her eyes again, as he caressed her arm with the back of his fingers, his touch becoming gentler when it met her scar.

"I had a weird dream,"

"What did you dream about?"

"I dreamed of pushing Hux off a cliff... You know what? It was a nice dream, actually; can I go back to it?" She pouted.

"No," Kylo groaned, standing up. Shira whined at this, making him roll his eyes. "C'mon we have a meeting."

"Well, aren't you the boss here? Then call it off." She complained, burying her face into a pillow.

"Actually, I called that meeting, so you're coming one way or another." With one last, I'm so going to kill you look, Shira extended her hand for Kylo to help her up.

Before leaving, he put on his helmet. "Classic"  Shira muttered.

"Did you say anything?" That robotic voice again... She managed to mask her annoyance by acting aloof.

"What? I wasn't paying attention."

"Oh, okay."

***

Boring. That's all the words Shira had to describe that damn meeting. It was all Kylo and Hux going back and forth about storm trooper distribution. They seemed like two foolish, young girls fighting for a boy's attention, that boy being Snoke. And being the arrogant leader he was, he didn't even care to transmit. So her behavior basically consisted of resting her chin on her hand and looking out  the window, praying it would be over soon.

"In other news, the ray is almost ready." Hux said, snapping Shira out of her thoughts. Her mind traveled back to her premonition. How could she forget about that? She didn't even tell Leia... Well, that wasn't an option anymore. Sometimes she wondered why.

Just why was she so stupid? Dumb enough to fall for someone who is okay with disintegrating millions of lives to dust, just like they never existed.

Unconsciously, Shira glared into Hux's lifeless blue eyes. They looked like two glass marbles with no purpose of existence.

"Anything to say, Dawnrider?" He asked sarcastically. Shira resisted the urge to roll her eyes at him.

"No, proceed." She replied, flashing him the fakest of smiles.

"The Hosnian System will be exterminated in fourteen days, the exact amount of time it will take our base to get there." Shira swallowed. Too soon.

Will it be enough time for her to manage to convince herself to be okay with it? That sentence came as frantic as Shira felt at the time. She was too overwhelmed to notice Hux had finished his explaining and Kylo was now talking.

"Dawnrider will be my second in command." He stated. His what? What was he talking about?

She gave him a perplexed look. "We believe a man in Jakku has information about Skywalker's whereabouts. We have to get it before the Resistance does."