Warned

Doctor Carther's POV

"Don't say I didn't warn you," Kallus said, walking forward until he was standing beside me. We both stared down at the boy on the ground. His wings were spread out on either side of him, but he was sound asleep.

I had listened to my brother's warning and injected the boy with microscopic electronic equipment, which sent out nerve impulses in the boy's wings. I could control it with my remote, and it prevented him from flying away. Afterwards, it would force him into a harmless sleep. I didn't want my prize specimen damaged just yet.

"You should kill him and save yourself the trouble," Kallus said. "That, or cut off his wings. He was trouble enough before he used them."

"If I remove his wings, I will lose the source of the healing enzymes. The experimentation would be pointless," I explained.

"Then be less gentle. He is a prisoner, not a visiting nephew."

"You may be my brother, but you know more about killing rebels than the fine art of experimentation. Leave the boy to me."

"At least remove one of his wings. To not do so would be foolish."

"The wings stay."

Kallus turned and stormed away. I grabbed the boy's collar and began dragging him back inside.

The boy would not be escaping. I would see to that.

Sabine's POV

After Ezra made a break for it with a guard on his tail, everything had gone quiet. Zeb and I waited in an anxious silence.

A some time later, Doctor Carther came out of the door that Ezra had left through. He walked down the hall, muttering to himself as he went.

"What happened to Ezra?" Zeb demanded.

"Never you mind," Doctor Carther growled. He continued down the hall, threw open the door, and marched into the next room. I glanced at Zeb. If Doctor Carther was angry about something concerning Ezra, one of two things had occurred.

Either Ezra had escaped . . . or he was dead.

Ezra's POV

I opened my eyes. It seemed like I was ending up unconsciousness a lot lately. This never happened before I showed people my wings.

I tried to move, but I couldn't. I realized that I wasn't in my cage anymore. I was in a dim room. My wings were chained to the wall, as well as my arms and legs. I could move around a bit, but I couldn't reach the chains.

The door opened and Doctor Carther entered. I glared at him.

"Isn't this a bit old fashioned?" I asked.

"Forgive the accommodations," he told me. "This is one of our older cells, from the ancient days."

"No, it's really cozy," I assured him.

"Kallus is calling for your immediate death," Doctor Carther said. "Unless you behave youself, I will agree with my brother."

"Do the others know what happened?" I asked.

"No. I don't want my specimens upset."

"They aren't specimens. Their names are Sabine and Zeb. They're my friends."

"I will be visiting you once a day," Doctor Carther went on, ignoring my comment. "Your little stunt has taken away your privilege of painless procedures. Perhaps this will inspire better behavior in the future."