Meredith's Story

I wasn't exactly sure why my mom was home. She was always at the hospital.  She normally only came home to change her clothes.  That was if she didn't take them to the hospital.  Most nights, I had to fend for myself for food and that wasn't a lot consideringI only worked part time at a diner.   Sometimes the cook sent food home with me because he knew I wouldprobably be by myself that night.  I shouldn't have had to buy my own food at seventeen while I was still livingat home.  Having to buy food to live off shouldn't be a seventeen-year old'sworry. 

I walked to the office where she was sitting and looking through a medical book on the desk. "Hey mom. I'm home."

"That's good." She replied, not even looking at me.

"Yeah." I said and walked upstairs.  I never knew what to say to her because she didn't really know how to have a normal conversation with anyone other than other surgeons. You would've thought with her being a surgeon, that she would've known how to talk to people, but that was not the case. Her talking was either a one word sentence, or bashing me for something I did. She was such a workaholic that it was like she forgot about me. I wasn't sure if I was worth much to her. 

I threw my book bag down beside my desk and laid on my bed. It was nearing ten, so I changed and went to take a shower.

Most people thought I was lucky to have what I did, but if they looked at it through my perspective and knew my story, they wouldn't have lasted.  I didn't like people knowing my mom because then they thought that I was an arrogant girl who got what I wanted. Just because my mom was a world class surgeon didn't mean I had it all. People didn't know that and honestly, I would've rather them think that Iwas arrogant because then at least, they left me alone.  My mom and I were two completely different people and nobody realized that. My mother didn't care about me and she never did.

My father didn't care either. He left my mom and I when I was five.  Just packed up and left.   I never even got a chance to know him.  He had another family who he loved and appreciated. I guess you could say I was jealous. His other kids had a father and mother who cared.

I stopped my thoughts and hopped back under the covers in my warm queen bed. I checked my phone before I drifted slowly to my happy place.