Different

A/N: Thank you so much for tapping on my book! I really hope you enjoy and please vote and comment on what you think! If you would like to know where these ideas came from go check out my book of poems called "Imperfect". Love you guys!

Almost every day I walk around my school track. There's a long bench located on one side of the track. Each time I walk on this track, I see a elderly woman sitting on the bench edge with a small metal cage sitting beside her.

Today my mind got the best of me, so after I finished my last lap I walked over to her. As I got closer, I realized that the metal cage was in fact a small trap. There were tons of butterflies, unharmed, and trying to fly around the base of the trap. She had a gorgeous blue butterfly on the palm of her hand that she was carefully observing it.

"Hello," I said. "This is the first time I have seen you around here. I don't mean to be nosy but what are you doing with these butterflies?"

She looked up at me. "I am making sure these butterflies' wings aren't damaged," she replied. "An adult butterfly is fully formed, cannot grow and doesn't really heal. If you find a butterfly with a broken wing, the insect is probably never going to fly again. The butterfly can, however, live."

"I never knew that. I am glad someone cares about nature," I stated.

She went on, "I spend about an hour each Monday evening helping these little jitters out. It's my own way of making a difference."

"But don't most butterflies just live up to 12 months?" I asked.

She then sighed. "Sadly, they do," she replied.

I looked at the butterflies. "Well then, don't you think your time could be better spent? I mean, I think your efforts are kind and all, but there are butterflies all around the world. And 99% of these butterflies don't have kind people like you to help them heal their wings. So, no offense... but how exactly are your localized efforts here truly making a difference?"

She then looked down at the broken butterfly that was now on her arm, and observed it one last time, and said, "Because these butterflies are different. It is the thought that counts."

A/N: How was it? I hope you liked it!

There will be more to come and it will get better!