Chapter 30: Betrayal

Start from the beginning

"Why did you not go with them?" Deman questioned, sitting upright. "You loved him. I could see it in your eyes when you spoke to him. The way you looked at him, and the way he looked at you." He stared sternly at Astrid, laying his hand lightly upon her cheek. "I only wish I could make you love me like I love you."

Astrid stared at him surprised. "He is not you, nor will he ever be." She responded, holding her hand up and flashing the wedding band around her finger. "If I had wanted to go back I would have never let this ring be placed upon my finger. I have taken vows and I promise you until the day I die I will be yours, and only yours!" Astrid laid her hand on Deman's, which was still upon her face. "You have given me back the feelings that they took from me." She smiled tenderly, kissing the tip of his thumb tenderly. "Because of you, I love again."

Deman placed a kiss upon Astrid's forehead. "What shall we do about Lorna?"

Astrid shrugged. "I am sure she will return soon."

"I have made my mind up." Deman stated with a disagreeing shake of his head. "If she does return, she is no longer welcome. She has betrayed her kingdom and most importantly she has betrayed me."

"She chose it." Astrid reassured Deman who was on the verge of tears. "Her true colors have shown, dear. You cannot let her choices dampen your world."

Deman nodded with a smile. He stared at Astrid blankly before rising from the ground, approaching the balcony. Astrid watched him closely with empathy for him. He was breaking and she could sense it, but she dared not to intervene with his emotions. He stood on the balcony watching the very faint ship lights fade into darkness.

¤§¤

Lorna looked at the strange men around her. They stared at her like a wolf to it's prey, making an uneasy feeling grow in the pit of her stomach. She pulled her cloak up around he body, wrapping her arms over her chest tightly.

"Do you think bard will be satisfied?" Knute asked Erick, plopping down beside him on the plank bench. "I hate lying to her, though. She does not deserve it."

"Does anyone deserve anything?" Erick replied, slyly grinning. "Anyone can see that she is a very spoiled girl perhaps it will help her." He slapped Knute on the back. "Do not think that you are doing something bad, think of it as benefit for the girl. And if Bard does not want her, then marry her; she is very beautiful." He hoarsely laughed. "Everyone wins in the end!"

"You have a way of putting things, I must say." Knute said, shaking his head. "What are we going to do with her once we get there?"

"We a going to give her to Bard in the place of Astrid." Erick informed. "Hopefully, he will accept her and leave Oliefsborg."

¤§¤

The morning sun rose, chasing the darkness from the room. Astrid rolled onto her back, resting her arm on the opposite empty side of the bed in the place where Deman should be. She sat upright scanning the empty room before crawling out. She quickly pulled a dress over her head and slipped from the room, tip-toeing throughout the halls in search for her husband. After minutes of searching, Astrid found Deman sitting perfectly still his throne. His eyes were focused upon the marble floor while his fingers ran along the edge of an empty golden goblet. The sunlight reflected onto his stiff face. She approached him slowly, noticing the redness in his eyes.

"You should try and rest." Astrid suggested, sitting down beside Deman. She took the cup from his hand, gaining his attention. "Everything will be alright, Deman. You must have faith."

Deman forced a smile onto his face. "I do not care so much about her departure as I wonder who will take over the kingdom when I die." He shrugged, glancing at Astrid kindly. "My family's blood dies with her. I wanted it to remain in royalty."

"No Deman, it does not die with her." Astrid replied while face melted into happiness as she knelt down before him, entwining her fingers with his. "Your bloodline can live on with you and I."

Deman stared at her confused. "Do you want a child?"

Astrid shrugged. "Maybe one day." She smiled, kissing the backs of his hands. "Then your kingdom will remain with you. It will never die with Lorna," she paused, rising gracefully. "I will promise you that."

Thanks for reading! Remember to vote & comment!

Sorry I have not been updating regularly I have had numerous college papers due and I do not have as much free time to write. Hopefully, my writing class will be over soon and I can get back on track!