Chapter Twenty-One: This Moment

Start from the beginning

My mind started to wander then. Images of Symon alone in the woods flashed through my head. Him scared in the dark. Not having his routine with him. I couldn't wrap my mind around how he just left like that. In the hour I had spent trying to recoup Darren had called Quinn, who said the video's showed Symons car leaving around 8:15. The same time I woke up the first time. That means he waited a good half hour before he bothered to even call me. What if's played in my head.

What if Darren had woken me up?

What if I had picked him up like I normally did?

What if someone was forcing him and it was to late?

That thought scared me. It made my veins run cold. I snapped my head up. Not from the thought though. From a body sitting itself beside me.

"You're over thinking this." Darren said, rather calmly.

I nodded watching closely as Star went from rock to rock, to get to the other side of The Dice.

"You have a bond with Symon, if he was hurt you'd know it." Darren said after a moment of silence. I looked up at him, his gray eyes watched Star, his black fur shimmered in the sunlight.

He was right though. Symon and I had a bound that went as deep as our souls. My gut would tell me if he was really hurt. And right now it didn't. I had to face it.

Symon left of his own free will, and didn't want me looking for him.

I understood it was for his own safety. But a heads up would have been nice.

I closed my eyes and let my head fall on top of my paws. We'd spent a good hour at The Dice, me just relaxing by the water as Darren and Star splashed around. Far to soon though we all agreed it was time to head back. So I was forced to get up and trot though the woods again.

"This is great." Star said, five minutes into our walk back. "It's been so long since I've been able to use my voice with anybody. They never let me shift. I don't know why though. It sucked."

"It was most likely for your safety. Golden wolves are normally kidnapped then killed." Darren replied causally. I wanted to slap him as soon as I notice Star stop.

"Do you- Do you think were going to kill me?"

"No. No way. You said they've had you for as long as you would remember. They would have done it long ago if they were going to" I said as I pushed my mussel into his neck. That seemed to snap him out of his daze, he shook his head and snored before walking again.

I knew I was wrong. I knew that sending him here was either a suicide mission. Or his death was going to be soon to follow. But I didn't want to tell him that. I knew he trusted them. No matter how bad they had acted towards him, in some sense they were his family. And nobody wants to think there family was planning on killing them.

We made our way into the clearing and phased back, then quickly changed into our clothes before heading towards to town again.

'Can I go hang out with Ivan?' Star asked when we pasted the park, that held the boy and some other kids. We nodded our heads, only after he agreed to be home by seven.

Instead of going home, Darren suggested going to eat. And by the growl in my stomach, I couldn't possibly say no.

I was relived. Since the other day we'd been getting along really well. He wasn't as sarcastic as he usually is, and he didn't give me dirty looks anymore.

Darren and I walked to the little corner coffee shop, I ordered a bagel and tea, still not feeling all that hungry. Darren got a muffin, saying something about not spoiling dinner, But seeing it was already 3:30 I didn't see how that was possible.