Chapter 4

Kathleen's POV

"Yes," the mayor said,"I asked for you, because I heard rumors of you and your friends talking about killing the gears of time." I almost gasped. Thinking about it now, I realized it was a bad idea because the mayor would know it was us.

Luckily, Kara stepped in. "Sir the gears are a vital item to our surviving in this newly found land. If they fall nothing will keep us alive. Why would we want to destroy them?" The mayor seemed pleased and then sent us on our way.

"Kara thanks, that was close!" I said in relief. She smiled and nodded, though she looked like she was tired and flushed. We got home and everyone surrounded us.

"What happened!"

"Where have you been!"

"Are you guys okay?"

"What took so long?"

"Guys!" Kara snapped. Everybody looked at her with amazement. She really was gaining confidence today. "We are okay. we just.. got called to Mayor."

"What?" everyone screamed in unison.

"Guys!" I yelled, annoyance creeping into my voice. "He said that there were rumors of us talking about destroying the gears. Kara covered up for us. From now on, we only talk about these things in a more... private place."

"And where might that be?" Tule demanded.

Before I could state that my plan had no setting, Kara cut in. "Jarred's house!"

"Wouldn't they have video camera's too?"

"Possibly, but where else can we go? Even the woods are being watched."

We all nodded in agreement. She was the smartest so far and she was right Jarred was the least likely to be bugged. Jarred was a spy for both sides. We knew he was telling about us to the mayor, he was also giving us vital information on many things and the mayor didn't know it.

Kara said she and Tule were going to be going over to Jarred's house. I agreed and said that Kara and I should not be seen together as often as we could. They would be heading out tomorrow, so we went inside and had dinner. I made my self rising bread and cooked it over the fire and we warmed up the half full can of beans and ate that with the bread.

We usually ate less at supper and more at breakfast, because eating early in the morning gave us energy, whereas during the night it makes you restless and it gets almost impossible to sleep.

We headed inside got changed for bed and brushed our teeth. We said our goodnights and crawled into our beds and fell asleep.

----authors note----

I am sososososo sorry I was busy and then got writers block, I had my friend help me write part of this and it got me back on track. I totally understand if you stopped reading my book, hope you enjoyed. The next chapter is going to be a filler on everybodies lives when they were kids so it might be a little boring. :$ So see you next time!

~xxLIGHTandDARKxx