Chapter 3

Kara's P.O.V.

"What kind of a plan?" Kathleen asked.

"Well, we need to break the gears all the way."

"WHAT?!?!" Everyone shouted, shock clear on their face.

"We need to break them. You all heard that they are weak, right?"

"Ya.." Started Tule.

"But it's just a rumor," Lona quickly finished.

"No it's not. My... friend, Jarred, works in the gear room. He told me himself," I stated, trying to get them to believe me.

"And why should we trust him?" Kathleen challenged.

"He wouldn't lie to me!" I shouted a little to protectively.

"How do you know that?" She retorted.

"He is one of my best friends!" I yelled angrily.

"Kara..." Lona warned.

"Kara, how do you know that he can be trusted?" Kathleen asked softer.

"He is my brother!" I yelled. Why won't she trust me?

"That doesn't mean he can be trusted," she spat.

"Don't you DARE tell me he can't be trusted!" I screamed, anger pooling inside of me.

"Whatever," Kathleen muttered. "And what do you suppose we do with your so-called information?"

"Again; we need to break the gears. Time is slowing down. The only way for it to continue as normal is to break the gears, which will release the key to time itself!" I stated very fast, trying to get it all out before Kathleen cut me off again.

"And how are we suppose to break them?! They are practically invincible!" Tule threw in.

"Practically. Not completely."

"That still didn't answer Tule's question!" Kathleen snapped impatiently.

"Jarred is trying to figure that out. He told me all he can."

"And how does he know all of this?" Lona asked skeptically.

"He is a technician for the gears. Why can't any of you guys trust me?!" I screamed in frustration.

"Because we don't want to get in trouble with the gears!"

"Listen to yourself!" I cried. "Your acting like your life depends on the gears, Lona!"

"Aren't they what keep us alive?" She asked like I was an idiot.

"No! They're not! We can keep ourselves alive! I read it at the library in an old book. But you have to believe m-"

"We don't have to do anything, Kara!" Kathleen spat at me.

"The only thing we have to do is turn you in for conspiracy against the Gears!"

"You wouldn't," I challenged, wanting to see how far she'd go.

"Your right," she said, and turned around. Then she flipped around and threw two knives at me from her belt. "Maybe I should just have them find you. DEAD!"

"Kathleen!" Tule screamed. "Maybe we should trust her! She is our best friend!"

"It's her brother I don't trust!" Kathleen snarled.

"Why? He is related to Kara, so he can't be that bad," Tule tried to reason.

"You don't know tha-"