Chapter 8

I found three notes the next day, instead of the usual two, which was good as I was still trying to work out what the notes said. By now, I was pretty sure it was Phil who was leaving me the notes, but there could be someone else. I stood and looked at the notes stuck on my wall. I rearranged the order to accommodate the new letters and the closest thing I got to anything normal sounding was "NO MORE DAN HF". I had no idea what this meant anymore. "No more Dan H" would sound like he was saying no to me, but the "F"? I didn't know where this was going anymore.
More and more people were starting to worry about Phil and people were posting "I've seen Phil!!!1!1!1!1" along with pictures of him from two years ago in an attempt to get noticed. Sure, I noticed them, but I didn't pay them any attention. Did they really think I'd fall for a picture of Phil from two years ago? I knew when most pictures of Phil had been taken, because more often then not I had either been with him or taken the picture. I called PJ again.
"PJ, I need to tell you something" I started.
"Hey Dan, people think they've seen Phil!" He interrupted.
"Will you let me finish?" I asked.
"Yeah, sure" He said.
"Don't tell anyone, but I think I love Phil" I smiled at the thought of my best friend. I heard PJ sigh.
"That was pretty obvious, Dan" He laughed.
"I really miss him and I wish he'd come back" I felt like crying
"He misses you too... at least I think he does" He said quickly. I frowned.
"Do you know where he is? I really need... to talk to him" I paced my bedroom hoping PJ would give me some kind of answer. I heard him sigh again, louder than before. He spoke something quietly and I thought I heard someone answer him, but there were people arguing outside and I had the window open. I guessed that the people outside had been the people talking. I heard footsteps on his end of the phone and then his voice.
"Call me again tomorrow and I'll tell you everything I know" PJ said and hung up.
I was curious. It was only midday and I needed to know what PJ knew right now. If Phil was hiding at his place to make me feel bad for yelling at him, I didn't know how I was going to react. Would I be sad or glad? I sat down on my bed. Life was getting so lonely and boring without Phil. I could try and take a nap to pass some time, but I'd probably wake up in a couple of hours and I still wouldn't be able to call PJ. My sleeping schedule was messed up, but I still couldn't see myself sleeping for over twelve hours in one go. I walked into the living room and curled up on the settee. The box set of Buffy was on the floor next to the DVD player. I stood back up and opened the disc case. The episode started playing but all I could focus on was what PJ was going to tell me tomorrow. I sensed it was something about Phil. If it turns out that he'd known about Phil's whereabouts all this time, would I be annoyed or relieved? I yawned. I think I'd be annoyed at first but relieved that Phil was okay. I really didn't know, so I guess I'd just have to wait until it happened. I was so nervous about what PJ would tell me. What if he backed out at the last minute? I knew he probably wouldn't, but what if he changed his mind? I yawned again. I curled up even more and fell asleep.