Chapter 44

"Tama na kuya, please! Please kuya!"

At first I wasn't sure if he had heard me or if I said it aloud because my brain was screaming, reeling high on too much adrenaline, more so when my brother was about to tackle Maven, viciously and appearing murderous as seconds tick.

I came right in between them, making him halt as he stood there rigidly. I stifled the spurt of dread with the prospect of confronting my older brother.

Kuya Elliot gave me a sharp look as dread slunk down the pit of my stomach. His appearance was just terrifying and he looked somber and gruesome.

With disconcerting look on him, he asked, "Desde cuándo, Adrianna?"

Since when, he asked. I'd like to ask the same thing. When did it all start?

My hands were shaking, and I saw dark spots around the rims of my eyes. Explaining my self to him right at this moment was like walking into a construction zone-- messy and just a little bit dangerous.

"I'm sorry, kuya." I said meekly. I tried to reach for him and touched his arm but kuya Elliot flung himself away from me.

Breathe, Adrianna.

Breathe

"I said, when?" He said in a voice that made me flinched but he didn't wait for my answer as he took a step closer until we stood face-to-face.

He put his hands on me and drew me close, his nails digging to my skin painfully as he shook my shoulders "Kailan?! Kailan pang pang-gagago na 'to?"

My heart started hitting my chest so hard that it felt like it's going to leap out of my ribcage. I fidgeted for a second under his gaze. My hands shook as my chin trembled in fear before saying, "A .. a year now"

"A year?!" He clenched his jaw as he turned, tilting his head toward me and blinked the pissed-off hazel eyes at me. I saw how the pulse drummed in his temple and how he grounded his teeth as the wrath took over. "Wow! You've been lying to us-to mom especially-for a year?! How could you listen to your own lie to the point you can still distinguish the truth within and around you and for a year?!"

"Hey, pare!" Maven suddenly came in front of me, dragging me behind his back as if that was enough to protect me from my brother's assault. Kuya Elliot might've punched me instead and it would hurt less than his words in that moment.

"Dahan dahan naman." Maven calmly began, "Don't talk to my girl that way"

I peered at my older brother over Maven's shoulders and I watched how he clenched his fist as if ready to pounce once again.

"Hah!" Kuya Elliot snarled. His face was dark--Dark and stormy as the sky. Worse than the dark, his face appeared surprise, perhaps, caught off guard by what Maven had said.