Chapter 62

This was the day, I thought as a bright shard of fear entered my heart.

The feeling of wariness wont dispel, as if expecting some blow was about to fall.

Breathe in, breathe out

For weeks, I tried to stop fighting the luring impulses that hunted my every waking thought. The impulse to runaway.

I stepped on to the raised platform and examined my reflection in the humongous three-sided mirror. I find myself twisting around, peering over my shoulder.

It was a beautiful Vera Wang white laced gown, with long-sleeved off-shoulder top exposing my collar bone. My hair was curled in messy bun full of wave chestnuts and make up, as styled by Patty, my stylist, was enough to complement the dress itself.

"Ahh.. beautiful as ever" Patty smiled peering behind the lens of the camera set up by the glam team. I stared back at the floor-to-ceiling mirror in front of me and pulled up a smile on my lips.

But my eyes were void of any happiness.

A soft knock came from the door behind and my grandmother slip inside. She politely said hello to the team. Thanking them for a job well done and gave them a nod before they left and shut the door behind them.

"Perfect hija. Ah.. a true Madrigal, by blood."

"Gracias Abuelita" I said, painfully choosing my words while I put my best smile for her.

Then I turned around. The style of the long skirt was suddenly interesting to me. Anything. Just so she wouldn't see the lies I have been telling myself all morning.

After that incident, I still dined with my grandmother like nothing happened. Monotonous. A routine. Every single day.

It was like the slap across my face was like a thing in the past, long-forgotten memory that drifted in the past. However, I still tensed for the blow that hasn't come.

My abuelita acted like nothing happened after that. She was slyly kin, even solicitous and hands on with our wedding planner and coordinator.

"You've grown so much mi nieta. I always wonder where did the time go" I looked up and held my grand mother's gaze through the mirror. It was scrutinizing, every detail of what I was wearing has  been meticulously veered at by her eyes. As if pleased of what she saw, she rewarded me a genuine smile.

My abuelita still commands the room with her presence, despite the crow's feet on her forehead or the short cane she started wearing over the last weekend.

She wore her short gray lob wavy for this event, with her modest two-toned Alexander Wang dress. Her Loubotin heels clicking as she reached for me.

Then she held out a diamond necklace and secure it around my neck. Much like a shackle.

"It's a wedding gift, mi nieta"

The word wedding, stopped my heart. It's too early for that, I wanted to say.

"You didn't have to abuelita"

She always say, I will understand in time. I will be grateful someday. And all she did, she only did best for our family.

"You're a good girl, Adrianna. If only your father could've seen the woman you have become." She said, stroking my hair gently.

If he was around, this wouldn't happen, is what I wanted to say but instead, I murmured
"I miss him. I miss Dad"