9) Recovery

"Nothing ever ends poetically. It ends and we turn it into poetry. All that blood was never once beautiful. It was just red."

―Kait Rokowski

I flitted around the house all morning, dusting and packing away things in an effort to subdue my agitation of seeing Nathan again

I flitted around the house all morning, dusting and packing away things in an effort to subdue my agitation of seeing Nathan again. I was acting like a lovesick teenager and I rolled my eyes at my ridiculousness.

"He's just a guy Taylor. Just a guy," I told myself while I rearranged the books on the shelf in the living room for the third time. "Just a really hot guy who has the power to bring you to your knees with want―"

I groaned and bit my lip. It was frustrating the way my thoughts drifted back to him regardless of what I was doing. Sighing, I grabbed my phone from beside me and scrolled through my songs, hoping to drown my thoughts with music. Music was always the answer.

I clicked on a Green Day mix and put the phone back after adjusting the volume.

"Do you know what's worth fighting for
When it's not worth dying for?
Does it take your breath away
And you feel yourself suffocating."

I raised my brow at the lyrics and then shrugged, deciding that I'd rather be depressed for a bit than pine away for Nathan.

"Does the pain weigh out the pride?
And you look for a place to hide
Did someone break your heart inside
You're in ruins."

"I totally dig the vibe," Hailey's voice floated above the music.

"Care to join me?" I asked, reaching for the phone to lower the volume.

"I can't," she pouted, putting her arm around me. "I'm meeting Michael in a few."

I groaned. "Ugh, him."

She swatted my arm and took a seat on the couch. After a few minutes I joined her and placed my feet on the coffee table as Basket Case started playing. "I don't get what you see in him," I told her.

"You wouldn't," she replied. "But I love him Taylor."

"And he loves himself too," I countered. "You keep putting yourself through the same heartbreak over and over and over―"

"I get it," she cut me off. "You can shut up now."

I shot her a glare. "You're an idiot."

"And you're not?"

"We're not talking about me."

It was silent for a few minutes with only the music playing in the background to ease the tension. Hailey and I had this conversation more times than I cared to remember and it never ceased to amaze me how ridiculous it was.

"You act like you don't feel the same way that I do about Michael when it comes to Brian," she accused.

I sighed. "Don't do this Hails."