8) Breathe

"But if these years have thought me anything it is this: you can never run away. Not ever. The only way out, is in."

―Junot Diaz- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

"My transformation into a bitter, angry old woman is almost complete," I informed Hailey, tying my hair into a bun

"My transformation into a bitter, angry old woman is almost complete," I informed Hailey, tying my hair into a bun. "I seem to have been born angry and I'm almost as bitter as a divorcee's playlist at this point, so all that's left is the small matter of my age."

She bit her lip to hide her smile. "Ah yes, your age," she replied, humoring me.

"I'm serious!" I admonished. "I'm currently experiencing life at a rate of several what the fucks per hour and it's the most unfair thing ever. I used to have my shit together and now? Now everything's the total opposite of having my shit together," I finished lamely.

Hailey cracked up, unable to hold back her laughter any longer. "Oh puleez!" she cried. "When have you ever had your shit together?"

I glared at her. She ignored it and continued to laugh.

Some best friend I have.

I grabbed my phone from its spot on my pillow and waltzed out of the bedroom. Hailey followed, chuckling softly. In my opinion, it wasn't even that funny but I wasn't about to add fuel to her already hysterical fire.

"Care to say where you're running off to?" she asked, taking a seat on the couch, regarding me with mild curiosity. "I thought you had the week off. So..." she trailed off.

"Coffee," I shrugged, pulling on my sweater. It was the truth. After all, omission wasn't necessarily a lie.

"You've got coffee here," she pointed out.

"Yeah, well I need a cup of coffee that I didn't make myself," I said, picking up my car keys. "See you in a few."

I ignored the suspicious look that she gave me and hurried to my car. It roared to life and I peeled out of the driveway before Hailey realized that I wasn't being totally honest.

She'd be hurt if she suspected that I was keeping something from her. But then again, honesty was never my strong suit. That was more of Katie's forte. She fulfilled the role of the golden child without complaint, and honesty, unfortunately was a requirement. She was the poster girl for perfection. Except of course, when it came to dating her sister's ex boyfriend. Funny how that works.

I pulled into a vacant spot in the parking lot of The Atrium and took a minute to gather my wits. I was nervous about seeing my newly found compadre again. What if he didn't even show? No doubt that he gave it some thought and concluded that a normal person doesn't bare her soul to a stranger in a coffee shop and that I was most likely a nut job that he should stay far away from.

I shook my head to banish that thought and stepped out of the car, sparing a few seconds to lock it. With renewed determination or as some might call it— false confidence, I made my way into the semi-crowded coffee shop.