2) All The Things Lost

"Acting like you don't care is not letting go."

—Penelope Douglas

When Jamie and I were kids, we used to spend hours just laying side by side on the grass in my backyard trying to outdo the other with how deep our love was

When Jamie and I were kids, we used to spend hours just laying side by side on the grass in my backyard trying to outdo the other with how deep our love was. One of us would say, "you're the peanut to my butter" and the other would blush and reply, "well, you're the sprinkles on my sundae" and there was usually a minute of silent contemplation before it was back to the first person saying, "you're the beat of my heart" and without hesitation the reply would be, "and you're the love of my life".

Another day, I'd be the twinkle in his eye, while he was the spring in my step but no matter what, it was a given that I was the beat of his heart and he was undoubtedly the love of my life.

It was corny as hell, but what else could we say? We loved each other with an innocence that was incomparable to anything else and my heart ached for that time when everything was so much simpler.

Even as a child I'd known that he was going to be a very important part of my life and up until three years ago, he was the most important person in it.

I know that some of you are probably rolling your eyes and saying, Oh, please, not again, but rest assured, there's only one asshole ex that this tragic tale is centered on. And while Jamie and I weren't in love the way that lovers are, he was the love of my life once upon a time and my very best friend.

So, when I say that he was my most important heartbreak, it's really because everyone knows that it hurts twice as much to lose a friend than it does to lose a lover. Especially those friends that manage to find some way to stitch themselves onto you, so that the only way for them to have a clean break from your life, is to take a piece of you with them. And in case you were wondering, yes, Jamie took so much from me that I still haven't recovered completely from the loss of him and I don't think that I ever will.

Millie put a finger to her lips as she glanced between us. "So, I take it that you two know each other?"

"Barely," I said nonchalantly, completely contradicting my earlier reaction to his presence. I dared him to say otherwise.

"It was a lifetime ago," he added. At my frown, he softened his smile. "It's good to see you, Tay."

I nodded because I didn't trust myself to speak. Although I hated to admit it, hot tears lay just beneath the surface waiting for that final jab and I was too afraid to even breathe, because the last thing that I wanted to do was let Jamie O'Connor see me cry. I'd never again let him see me cry.

"Okay, well that takes away the need for an introduction, so Taylor, I guess it's over to you now to give Mr. O'Connor a tour." I almost chuckled at the fact that Millie was so clueless, she couldn't feel the tension in the room that was so thick, a steak knife couldn't even cut it.