Waking Up to Broken Promises..

Momotarou's P.O.V

I could tell every breath she took and every little move she made, it caused agonizing pain. 

And it was all my fault.

~Flash Back~

  A certain blue-hued male joined her side, hugging her close. ''I won't let anything happen to you..I promise..'' He lifted her chin, pressing a gentle kiss to her soft lips. She sighed contently, wrapping her arms around his torso awkwardly. 

  Momotarou pulled back slowly, hugging her close a final time before they entered said village.

...

  Falling onto the bloody ground, she hunched over on her knees, gripping her chest. She coughed and hacked, blood splattering the pavement below her. Tears of pain and fear pricked at the edge of her eyes.  

~End Flashback~

She lied on a raised futon, bandages covering her arms, throat and her mid-section. Her usually kind and soft face was contorted in pain. Momotarou tangled his fingers in his light satin locks, pulling harshly. He hated himself for not intervening when you were lying under the guardian, he knew he could've stopped it form stabbing you right through you. Tears pricked the edges of his pained violet orbs, a choked groan sounding from the back of his throat.

Just then, as a tear slid down his pale cheek someone cleared their throat. Momotarou stiffly raised his head, turning to see Miroku hesitating in the doorway. He clenched his jaw and nodded for him to enter the silent room.

''I'm sorry..''

''Huh..?''

''I'm sorry for not stopping that youkai from hurting her..I-I couldn't move, I watched her blood stain the ground. So badly I wanted to scream out to her!'' He gasped sharply, regaining his breath from shouting that all he had said. With that said, the dam that held all his tears at bay, cracked and fell to pieces.

He let out an agonized sob, clenching his fists at his temples. ''I-I'm so sorry..'' Momotarou felt pathetic. Never before had anyone seen him like this, in such a weak state.

And he hated that.

The emotionally unstable male shuffled beside her, his sharp sobs turning to pathetic hiccups. ''Please (Y/n)..I love you! I know I promised I'd protect you..I failed, b-but I can do better!'' He leaned forward and took her soft and cold hand, squeezing it tightly against his trembling chest.

He felt Miroku's warm hand rest on his shoulder. In a state of panic, fear, and anger the male turned, lashing out at him. He tore one of his twin blades from its sheathe, slashing at him. He gritted his teeth, panting heavily.

Momotarou dropped his weapon, and fell to his knees. Sobs began to sound from him once again.

''I'm so pathetic..'' He muttered. ''(Y/n)..Please wake up...''

''...I love you..''