When the darkness comes

Clary woke up to the sound of the rain at her window . She sat up in her bed and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes . A lightning shot through the room and she shivered . She hated storms . They are so dark , scary and unpredictable .

She looked at her clock to see that it's only three in the morning , but she didn't lay back down . Somehow , she knew that she won't sleep anymore today .

She yawned and put on one of Simon's shirts before walking out of her room .

Simon is her boyfriend since tenth grade . Now , they are seniors . She loves him . At least this is what she thought .

Clary walked on her tip-toes , trying not to make a sound . Her head was throbbing .

She walked into the kitchen and poured cold water into a glass . As she lifted the glass to her mouth :

- What are you doing ? - someone snapped in the dark .

Clary yelped and the glass of fresh water slipped out of her little hands , landing on the cool ,hard ground breaking into little piecies . She turned around to see no other than the big Jace Herondale . He always knows how to freak someone out .

- Jace , you idiot ! You scared me ! - she whisper-yelled . She didn't want to start a fight with him , while everybody in the Institute is probably sleeping peacefully .

- You have to be always ready for an attack .... - he said , taking out some milk from the fridge .

Clary smiled when she realized that Jace is probably up , because of the storm outside . He couldn't sleep either .

- Why are you up ? Jacey here is afraid of the rain ? - she teased in a high-pitched voice . Jace just chuckled .

- You wish , Red ... - he snapped walking away . She held back the urge to yell at him .

She sighed and sat down to the table . She found an empty sketchbook on the table , so she decided to draw until the others wake up .

Meanwhile , Jace walked back to his room , but as he layed down the sleep didn't find it's way to him . He just layed there staring at the ceiling .

Jocelyn woke up to a thunder . She walked into the kitchen to see a red-head sitting at the table with her head dwown , probably sleeping . She sighed and shook her shoulders gently .

- What ? - she asked , standing up immediately .

- Clary , sweetie , you slept on the table ?

- Oh , no . I just couldn't sleep and started to draw , but I think I fell asleep .- she explained , rubbing the back of her neck .

- Go and get ready , because you have to be at school in an hour ..... and ...Happy birthday ! - she said , hugging her daughter .

- Thanks , mom !

After a long and warm shower , Clary walked back to her room to see Isabelle sitting on her bed .

- What are you doing here , Izzy ?

- I came to help you pick out an outfit , since it's your eighteenth birthday and you have to look stunning .- she explained walking up to Clary's closet . Clary's eyes widened when she started to throw her clothes on the floor .

- Okay , put on these . - Izzy ordered , pushing Clary into the bathroom .

She gasped when she realized what Izzy gave to her , but she didn't feel like arguing with her .