Biting my lower lip, I got up and went downstairs. My feet came to a halt. For a nanosecond, my eyes spotted Zulqarnain sitting on a sofa in the living room near Auntie. I feel hesitant to go in front of him like this. This is probably our first normal meeting.

"Assalam o Alaikum." He got up to Salam me as soon as our eyes met.

"Wallaikum Assalam." I answer and sit on the farthest sofa from them.

He gave me an indescribable look and say, "You can sit there if you want." as he points behind me.

Both Auntie and I turn our faces to where he is pointing. It was a single chair on the other side of the room. I turn my face back to him and Auntie glares at him for his sarcasm.

I took the hint that he wants me to get up from my seat and sit near Auntie, opposite of him. A mischievous smile appears on his face and disappeared as soon as it formed.

Eh???

We sat there for almost an hour, talking about different things. We also discussed my future plans. So I told them that I have already applied for a job. The whole time, Zulqarnain didn't make eye contact even when he was talking directly to me. But I felt like he keeps stealing glances whenever my attention was to Auntie, which I find quite strange. I mean, he is the same Zulqarnain who irritated me on calls and keeps bugging me by saying stupid stuff, like I will come to meet you, I will ask you this and that when we meet, you are daydreaming about me, and many other stupidities. And now he is acting like a completely different person.

"Beta, I am going for dinner at my friend's house. Would you like to come with me?" Auntie asks.

"Thank you, Auntie but... I don't want to go." I really don't feel like doing anything after Baba's death.

"Hm! I can understand how you are feeling but beta, sitting at home all day is not good for health."

"I know." I lower my head. What she's saying is right. Still, this heart of mine doesn't want to move forward.

~*~

"I must say, that was a clever move." I literally jumped on Zulqarnain's voice and on turning around, I find him leaning against the kitchen entrance. Wearing black trousers and a white t-shirt, with both arms folded on his chest.

"What do you mean?" I turn back to my dinner.

"Sending Ami away alone so we can talk in private." My mouth drops when my mind registers his words.

"Pardon?" I turn my face back to him, completely forgetting that I have to finish my meal.

"You can continue eating." He says, coming into the kitchen.

"I will eat, first tell me what you said earlier?"

"I said, it was a smart move to say no to Ami, so we can have some time alone." He shrugs, taking a seat on my opposite, on the small dining table in the kitchen.

"And why would I want to have some time with YOU alone?" I ask frowning.

"I don't know.... maybe my charms are too much for you to resist." He says, picking a piece of cucumber from my salad.

Before I could clarify his misunderstanding in a way that he would never ever get in any sort of misunderstanding from me, his smiling face shuts my mouth.

Idiot...

He was teasing me. I ignore him and continue on with my dinner.
"Why didn't you eat with me?"

"I wasn't hungry."

"Or didn't want to eat with me?" He asks, picking another piece of cucumber.