CHAPTER 3

Sheila Umbral

“Who was that? Sheila Umbral asked as they turned the corner.

Soon after James had returned from taking the flowers to his sister’s gravesite, he’d waited a bit to collect himself. Lost in her thoughts, she hadn’t realized what was happening or seen who had gotten into the car James had pulled over. When James finally returned and drove off, she could’ve sworn she saw Uncle Philip in one of the cars. Or at least that’s the name she’d grown accustomed to calling him since he reappeared over the last year. If her father knew Philip was around, and had met with her, he might try to kill him. Again.

“Nobody,” James said.

“Well, you seem pretty upset at nobody.”

James sighed. “Just some punk from when I worked narcotics, a kid I used to know. Now he’s tearing up the old neighborhood. He’s the one my sister was with when—” His words cut off, and she could tell he was grinding his teeth.

“When she died?” she finished, raising an eyebrow.

James hardly ever spoke about his sister. And when he did, he tried his best to avoid conversations about her death.

“You can talk to me, you know,” she said, voice soft.

“I can’t. Not about this. Every time I think of it, I get so caught up …” He shook his head, and she could see his knuckles strain as he squeezed the steering wheel.

She understood his pain. It was a palpable thing. So thick she could almost taste it. And she longed to. The way he kept it bottled up was one of the reasons that had drawn her to him. She also understood the need for secrets. What he held inside weighed on him at times, a burden he shouldered that fought against who he was, often driving him to tears around this date every year.

Not for the first time, she pondered revealing some of her own secrets. To say time was growing short was an understatement. In all probability, she had but a few days left, weeks if she were lucky. But how would James’ react if he discovered she was similar in many ways to the creatures he investigated in his new post at the Paranormal Division? How would she go about revealing it anyway? Mere words wouldn’t suffice. Transforming to her true form, having her wings break through the skin along her shoulder blades, proving that she was part succubus, part elemental, might be a bit too much. Particularly if James happened to be anywhere near his gun.

She sighed and brushed his hand where it gripped the gearshift. “Well, I’m here for you regardless.”

“I appreciate it.” He gave her a faint smile.

“So, what do you think I should wear to Club Fang tonight?” she asked. A change of subject would do nicely to put his mind at ease.

“Something sexy.”

“Well, duh.” She gave it a moment of thought. “How about the blue dress you like, the one with the oval cutout that shows off my belly.”

His lips spread in a slow, mischievous smile. “Yeah, that one would be … nice.”

“Nice? That’s all?”

James grinned. “Let’s just say in that dress you can get it.”

“And what about when I’m not?”

“Well, then too. But that dress and your body? Woooo.”

She giggled. “Well, if you’re a good boy, you’ll be up when I get home.”

“Pfft, you know I can’t sleep when you’re out. Need me to pick you up after the party?”

“No, Melissa’s driving.”

“What’s at Fang tonight anyway?”

“Supposed to be a magic show and then an after-party.”

“Ah.” He drew his lips into a tight line. “Be careful around that stuff. You know about the things I’ve seen.”

She nodded. Since taking his new position on the Force, James had been exposed to some of her world. His warning, although appropriate, didn’t apply to her. Again she wondered what he would think if he found out.

“You should come,” she said, and held her breath.

“As much as I’d love to, you know I can’t, hun. Picked up a new case last night. Got some canvassing to do.”

She let the breath ease out of her. “Well, maybe next time.” She tried to sound genuinely disappointed.

“I’ll try,” James said, “I promise.”

And he would try too, but as usual something would get in the way. Which worked in her favor. Parties at Club Fang brought out a variety of candidates to whet her appetite. She wasn’t the only one of her kind that went there to feed. Nor did she have any qualms about doing so. It helped curb times like this when James’ stronger emotions made her want to partake. Supping on his energy when he was angry or grief-ridden felt wrong. The complete opposite of doing it during their lovemaking at the height of his ecstasy. Her father always said she’d be able to sense the difference, and although they both technically provided the same life force, negative emotions always brought out her darker side.

They continued on their way, the conversation drifting into talk about school and the relatively mild weather they had this winter. When James dropped her off at the entrance to Baruch College, she gave him a deep kiss. She was still waving absently to him, mired in the decisions she needed to make over the next few days, when his car disappeared around the corner. It wasn’t until someone tapped her on the arm that she caught herself.

“You have that dreamy look in your eyes,” Melissa said.

Sheila shrugged. “I can’t help it.” She shivered at her sense of longing. Inhaling, she tried to calm herself. The air smelled of concrete and wet streets.

As friends went, Melissa was among the few she had here at college. The girl was also of supernatural breeding, but of a mix more human than Sheila. Wolf made up her animal side. There were all types of misconceptions concerning Changelings, but whether they were born of fae and humans, elemental and humans, or some other combination, the majority of them tended to stick together. A survival trait, Sheila had concluded after spending better than a century acquainting herself with the various communities.

“And there’s your other crush.” Melissa tapped her on the arm again.

Sheila regarded the young man who glanced in their direction before staring straight ahead and acting as if he hadn’t. Broad around the shoulders, caramel-complexioned, and of a height matching her 6 foot 2, Mike Costace was the one person in Baruch who possessed a great deal of magical potential but had not fallen for her seductive abilities. Although he was known as a ladies man around school, and a thug outside, if the rumors were to be believed, he acted completely different when it came to her. He was … shy.

She gave a slight shake of her head, while she watched him. By now, any other guy would’ve approached her, even thrown themselves at her. Whatever Mike’s power, it seemed to prevent her effect. It served to make her more curious and had her lusting for a taste.

Students like Mike, those with some power in magic, were the reason she attended this school in the first place. For whatever reason, they gravitated to Baruch. She’d had her fill on many occasions, some of them recently, but none like Mike.

“If you don’t quit staring you’ll scare him away completely,” Melissa chided.

But Sheila didn’t care. Not at this particular moment. James had already aroused her hunger. Seeing Mike made all kinds of ideas run through her head. Tonight, she was definitely going to the Fang.