Chapter 9: Explinations

Start from the beginning

Joseph watched the man silently, mistrusting the wizened face before him. This guy was in cahoots with his captors, wasn't he?

The man continued, ignoring the doubtful gaze. "You have been sedated for the last month. It was necessary for your safety."

Joseph's eyebrows scrunched together. When he spoke, his voice seemed raw, unused. "What do you mean... I haven't done anything..."

"No," Said the Supervisor, "But you have caught the eye of someone, well something, that puts you in a very, ah, compromising position."

"What does that mean...?"

"The supposed alien you were working with." The Supervisor said, leaning forward in his chair. "When he first crashed, we had legitimately thought that he was an extraterrestrial. You can still probably tack that definition onto him. But as it turns out, our initial assumption was wrong. Quite wrong."

The Supervisor seemed to ponder this for a moment before he continued, "The man you were working with, the so called alien, is actually what the ancients called a Supreme. He is a part of a race of gods, beings that have existed immensely longer than the human race. They created our world system and many others, slowly developing the human race over time, acting as the guiding hand in our evolution if you will, so that they would eventually have the proper manpower for their vast empire.

"These beings were known as gods to us, because by definition that is what they are. They had and still have not only technological, but may we call it also metaphysical, advances that our species can only dream of."

"Wait..." Said Joseph, still looking confused. "If they were meant to rule our world, then why did they leave? They did leave, right? And... when did they leave? How do you know all this?"

The Supervisor smiled. "I know this because I learned it from a fae. But that is, of current, irrelevant. Now, where was I, oh yes. The gods ruled with an iron fist upon the world until two thousand years ago. They demanded for constant offerings and sacrifices, some even in the form of human blood. And for the longest time, the ancients obeyed.

"But eventually, people became upset. The gods became greedy and cruel, a reflection in the changes of their own empire. The humans had one who was trained in the forbidden magics banish not only the gods, but also the demons and wights from the world, thereunto rectifying the world of magic. Yet banishment was not ensuring that the gods would not just return. So, the magic bearer was forced to create a binding entity upon the planet, called the karzayk.

"The karzayk has done it's duty. It has held for the last two thousand years, leaving humanity to live in peace and thrive not only technologically, but intellectually. But alas all good things must end. The karzayk is failing the spells that so long held are wearing down. The gods are coming back, as are the other magical creatures."

The old man's face looked grave. "That supreme, the alien as we first thought him to be, is only the first. There are many more gods who shall come, and at an alarmingly fast rate. We predict their ships will arrive in one to two weeks."

Joseph watched the Supervisor, intrigued, "You mentioned other... creatures...?"

"Ah yes. The gods created this world, but the demons and wights fought to inhabit it. Demons are vile creatures, they feed off of fear and agony as well as blood and souls. They came after the gods, while the world was still young, and have not left since. Though few demons walk among us now, most reside in the depths of the earth, in caverns and even the core. They, too, sense that the karzayk is weakening, and soon will come to the surface. The other beings are wights. They are a variety of magical creatures, anything from the banshee to the fae. They have been trapped by the karzayk into the objects of the world. But not for long.