"He's already paid the tickets, Kennedy..."

"I don't mind," I cut off my mate's protest with a smile. We could discuss the movie and what Riley thought of tattoos over ice cream. That way, I got to spend a bit more time with him. I should definitely thank my baby brother for that suggestion as well.

My phone vibrated and started ringing in the pocket of my jeans.

"Excuse me for a second." I reluctantly turned my back on Riley and moved away. "Hello?"

"Hey, Rhys. I... I need your help."

Whatever was bothering Everett, it had to do with his son; I could tell by his voice. A silently cussed my nephew.

"What has he done now?"
"I don't know." My older brother sounded tired. "He called me from Woodville General hospital, but he wouldn't tell me much. I don't know if he's injured, I don't know if he's hurt somebody... I just don't know, Rhys."

"And you want me to come with you to pick him up?" I guessed.

"I'm sorry. I know you are with Riley tonight, but I might lose it around Alec. I need you by my side, brother. I'd take Lisa, but..."

He didn't need to finish.

Lisa tried to make Alec feel at home in her house for Everett's sake, but the boy always made her uneasy, scared her even. To add to that, children were a painful topic in my brother's household with Lisa not managing to conceive for years while Alec was the flesh and blood of Everett, a child he'd had from another woman...

Things were tough on Lisa the way they were; it would be unfair to put her in a situation we knew nothing about when we could avoid that.

"We are leaving now and I'll come pick you up and drop Kennedy off..."

"Actually, I'm on my way to you. I'm almost at the cinema. I'll wait for you in the parking lot."

"Okay. See you in a bit."

I ended the call and went back. My brother was just letting go of the shoulder of a very surprised Riley when I reached them.

"That was Everett." I put my phone in my pocket. "He's heading this way. I guess we'll have to take a rain check on that ice cream."

I tried to hide both my disappointment and my excitement when I saw Riley wasn't pleased with the news.

"Oh, yeah, a rain check." He muttered.

Kennedy raised an eyebrow at me and I shook my head. I didn't want to explain what was going on in front of my mate. Not that there was much to explain. All I knew was that my nephew was at some hospital.

"We'll drop you off." I nodded towards the door.

"You don't have to do that..." Riley began.

"My brother wasn't asking. He wants to make sure you get home safely." Kennedy took us both by the hand and lead the way towards the exit.

"Just to make sure you won't try to run off on your own." He grinned at Riley when the older boy looked surprised at my brother's actions. "Not that we won't be able to catch you."

The three of us walked hand in hand until we heard a honk: Everett was signaling to us where he'd parked.

I'll have to come back for my car later, I thought as we reached my brother's vehicle and I opened the back door for Riley and Kennedy to climb in. I took the passenger seat.

"Hey." Everett greeted us with a washed-out smile.

"Hi, I'm Riley," my mate replied after a brief examination of my eldest sibling.