"But...I want the world to know...keeping it a secret and all...it has never worked for me,"

"We have to...if we don't...he could be out on the streets again and you could get hurt...and I don't want that," Nicki pouted, sitting back in the couch. I scooted over to her and pulled her to my chest.

"Don't be mad,"

"But....I want to show my love publicly to you. It'll be so hard not to kiss you,"

"I know," I say and kiss her forehead. The phone began to ring and I answered.

"Hello?"

"Jackson. We need you...major case load from Animal Crimes...its a large fight ring,"

"Damn...how many?"

"200 dogs. at least 10 men all caught in the act,"

"I'll be right there," I say and sit up.

"What? I thought you had the day off?"

"Full days off are rare in my line of work. I'll be back soon ok?"

"Ok,"  she looked away, back at the television without another glance. I could tell she was a little disappointed in me, and I knew I would have to make it up to her when I got back...if I got back. I got dressed in my normal attire, grabbing my badge and gun. I kissed her forehead and walked out to my new car, a Dodge Challenger, jet black. I got in and drove to the precinct. The place was in a riot and not in people. Dogs were all over being held by rope leashes and others. They were barking, whining growling. Some with scars others shaking with fear. There was even a mother dog, thin from lack of food, nursing her newborn puppies.

"What the hell is going on?"

"The shelter is too full to take them. We have to find other places to put them. Everyone has to go home with a dog," Most of the others groaned.

"Captain I can't! My wife has allergies,"

"Damn it captain this is too much!" I shouted. I say and look around, then find a dog, sitting in a cell, looking away only at the corner wall, close to it, shaking. She was a greyish brown dog, her tail  between her back legs as she sat. There were scares all over her, some blood on the floor.

"How long has she been in  that cell?" I asked.

"Since she got here...the other dogs were attacking her so we kept her separated from the others until things could settle down," said one of the cops. The dog looked back a little, then turned back facing the corner. I opened the cell and shut it behind me, and knelt down to her level. She turned back, keeping her eyes on me.

"Hi mamas...Hi," I say gently. She begins to whine as I scoot closer to her.

"George. get me some treats," I ask of him and he comes back with a bag of those Beggin' Bacon strips. I opened the bag and grabbed a strip, and tore it.

"You want a treat? It's bacon," I tossed her a piece.  She looked at it, then ate it slowly I scooted closer. Her whining got louder, her shaking more aggressive.

"It's okay honey...I'm not going to hurt you. No one is, not anymore," I spoke gently, tossing her another piece. She ate it, and turned to me, her tail still between her legs. I stepped closer and she howled a little. It sound like a cry of fear, of pain. It broke my heart.

"It's ok mama. You can trust me. I held the treat out in my hand. She looked at it. She wanted it, but the fear was overpowering her.

"Come on," I say as I hold it out for her. She slowly made her way towards my hand. I scooted  towards her, but she backed up, looking on in fear. I held the food out. She came closer and finally took it gently out of my hands. I slowly lifted my other hand and pat her head. Her howl became something I've never heard a dog do. It was a shriek and it was ear piercing. Louder than the others.

"Shh,"I say and pet her she backs up, and I go with her. I stroked her head and  back. Her mouth gapped open as she licked her lips. Her cries quieted, she looked on at me. She stepped closer to me, her head leaning on my chest, her tail beginning to wag a little. I hugged her and glided my hand over her back. She peed on the floor a little bit. Her breathing softened.

"It's ok. It's ok. I won't let anyone hurt you ok?" I held her close. she began to lick my hand, which was scratching under her chin.

"How do you do it?" Captain asked.

"I don't know. I'll take her home," I say as I grab a leash and slip it gently around her neck. She stands up and walks willingly with me. I let her into the back seat of the car, and drove to Pet Smart and got some dog bowls, a collar and leash, dog treats, and some chew toys, and a doggy bed and blanket. I blew 70 bucks on her, but I didn't care. She deserved the pampering. I also got some lotion for her cuts. I got her home and walked up the steps. Her tail wouldn't stop wagging, she looked like she had a smile on her face when she panted. I unlocked the door slowly, then peeked in.

"Hey Baby,"

"Hey...how'd it go?"

"Well...I sort of brought work home...Witness protection again.

"Oh God...J really? He or she,"

"She...but she's really friendly," I smirked to myself.

"Oh boy that means I'm going to have to put her in her place,"

"Oh you won't have to... because she's not like that,"

"Oh, well then what is she like?"

"She has hair all over, walks on all fours and has a wet nose,"

"What?" I opened the door and The Dog walked in with ease, right up to Nicki. She had her tail between her legs as she did.

"Oh Baby! She's so cute! I love her!" She let her sniff her hand, then pet her head. The dog licked her nose.

"What's her name?"

"That I thought you could come up with one for her," She looked on at me and  then thought a moment. Finally she looked on.

"I've got it! How about Jade?"

"Now that is a pretty name. I think it suits her," Jade looked on, wagging her tail. I gave her a treat and she liked my hand.

"So she's a rescue?'

"Mhm...Should I adopt her? I mean half the time until you get back to your job, you'll be here home alone and she could keep you company,"

"I think that is a great idea...I could use a little friend. She is so sweet,"

"Yeah. One of the most misunderstood dog breeds in the world, and yet here she is, lying on my couch....aw no come one now! Not on the sofa!" I tried to shoo her off but she justlied there, her head on Nicki's lap.

"Oh come on baby/ Let her stay...she's so cute,"

"Fine....she is kind of cute though," I rub her head and she rolled over onto her stomach, and I gave her a belly rub. Her right hind leg began to kick.

"Oh you like that Jady girl don't you? yes you do!" I cooed. She rolled over and sat on my lap.

"Oh...baby your boney and heavy," I say patting her.

"Not but 3 minutes in the house and she already feels at home," Nicki says as he kisses my lips.

"I know...I'll have to take her to the vet on my off time to get her shots and make sure she's a healthy puppy huh?" I say as I rub her sides. She was busy watching the television, or at least that's what it looked liked.

"I can always do it baby...as soon as I get a car,"

"See?"

"But I can always buy one...I think I have enough money saved up," She said as she lied her head on my shoulder. I hugged her close and Jade hopped down onto the floor, and lied down at our feet.

"You know, I was wondering if we could go out for dinner or something tomorrow?"

"Sure...maybe after work. Where would you like to go?"

"I don't know. Maybe Some place New...I've never had Indian food Or we can always go someplace new and family owned,"

"Ok...we'll figure it out later. Right now, I want to relax with out new family member," She nodded and chilled with me, picking her feet up on the couch, and She, Jade and I all fell asleep.