Chapter Five

Chapter Five.

I opened my eyes to find that I was in a dark room. I frowned as I tried to work out why I was not in my own bedroom at home. A door behind me clicked open and I heard someone breathing.

“Are you awake?”

“Yes.” The lights were flicked on and I found that I was laid on a sofa and not just anyone’s sofa, Nathan Sykes’ sofa. I looked up at him and he smiled. He was odd. He was awkward. But he was kind. No, he’s not kind!

I looked down to see a blanket covering me. I was still wearing my dress from last night, thank god.

“Would you like a cup of tea?” Nathan asked politely and I nodded as I twisted my body so I was sat up. He walked into the kitchen and I was left alone in the room. I tried to remember last night as the alcohol had only left me with a slight headache. I remember going to the club and talking to Nathan. Maybe I had gained his trust now. I remembered coming back here with Nathan and I remembered…the kiss. He hadn’t questioned me about Paige after that, thank god.

“Here you go.” Nathan put two cups of tea down in front of me then sat beside me. I rubbed my head as I became annoyed at the slight ache in my forehead.

“So, tell me.” Nathan started and took a sip of his tea.

“How do you know my best friend?”

I sighed and looked up at him. His green eyes searched mine for some sort of answer.

“I don’t. I just know you have a friend who is female.”

“How do you know that?”

“Lucky guess.” He wasn’t buying it.

“How do you know?” I sighed but stuck to my answer.

“I guessed.”

“No you didn’t.”

“I did,” I protested and sipped the cup of tea Nathan had made me.

“Tell me,” he continued.

“I’m telling you. I guessed.” He frowned and leaned towards me. His eyes looked straight into my soul and I squirmed underneath his gaze.

“There’s something strange about you. Something that’s not quite right.” I decided to take another stab at it. What did I have to lose?

“What’s your best friend’s name?” He frowned slightly and sat back.

“Paige.” I subconsciously curled my upper lip in disgust at the name.

“Is something wrong?” Shit. He saw me.

“I used to know someone called Paige. She wasn’t a very nice girl.” He raised one eyebrow at me but I ignored him and finished my tea.

“I guess I’d better go.” I stood up but Nathan grabbed my hand and pulled me back down.

“Stay. Let’s talk,” he said. I didn’t know whether this was a good thing or not but I stayed.

“Tell me about your family.”

“I rarely see my mum because she still lives in Manchester. My dad’s a barrister and my brother is at university,” I explained and he nodded.

“What about yours?”

“They live in Gloucester. My parents aren’t together anymore. I have a little sister, Jessica.” I nodded and he took my hand in his.

“Tell me about this scar,” he said as he rubbed his thumb over the white line on the back of my hand. He looked genuinely concerned. Maybe he actually cared about me.