Part 2 - Chapter 7

The next morning Jeff arrived at the house around 9:00. I hadn't slept much and was waiting in the front room, finishing my coffee when there was a knock on the door. I got up and walked over to the door. I still didn't want him to come inside; I didn't know why but it felt like something important. Some kind of statement that represented more than what it said on the surface. Jeff must have sensed it because he stood on the porch without a move towards entering. Charlie had been waiting with me and was right behind me with my luggage and he followed me out the door with it. As Charlie started to pass, Jeff reached for my bags. Charlie averted him and they both continued on to the back of the car. Jeff opened the trunk and stepped aside while Charlie placed the bags inside.

Jeff closed the top and checked it to make sure it latched. Charlie turned but Jeff stopped him, "Charlie," he said. His voice was kind, not his usual stern voice reserved for Charlie. "Thank you for taking such good care of your mother." I could see Charlie grow flush. I knew deep down that he wanted more from his relationship with his father. Charlie was so angry and protective of me.

"It's all right." Charlie said almost in a whisper.

Jeff stared at him until Charlie looked up. "I do love you, you know." Jeff said. He walked over and embraced Charlie. Charlie didn't hug him back, remained still but he didn't pull away either. After that Charlie walked over to me and hugged me." I love you, mom. Will you call us and tell us what's going on?"

"Of course, darling." I looked at him. He was so handsome, almost grown up. I touched his cheek and kissed him goodbye. He stepped back on to the sidewalk and watched us as Jeff pulled away from the curb.

I just stared out the window on the way to the airport. It was going to be a warm day, there was always a stillness and that came with the feeling of a rising heat on those mornings before it became unbearably hot. Neither one of us said anything almost the whole way. I wanted to cry but I was so exhausted and numb that I didn't. Jeff had someone make arrangements for when we arrived. There would be a car there for us. They'd reserved a hotel. It dawned on me. It wouldn't have been the first time he'd reserved one room for us when the situation called for two.

I turned to him, he looked at me and smiled. There was a gentleness in his expression.

"Did you have them reserve two rooms at the hotel?"

He nodded, "I did."

The occasion was too somber for any hint of flirtation or teasing. He just looked back at the road.

"Did you talk with the girl, Clara's friend?" He asked.

"Yes." It felt difficult to draw words. I wanted to be alone, back in my bedroom shrouded in darkness. I didn't have the energy for anything, not even conversation.

"Are we going to talk with her today?"

"This afternoon."

He looked at me, waiting for more information.

"Joan thought we should talk to the police. She called them for us, got the name of an police officer—a detective-- that we are to call after we get more information from Diane."

"OK. Can we get Clara tonight?" he asked. "Did the detective think we could get her?"

I shrugged my shoulders and looked back out the window. "I don't know if we can get her back all."

Jeff sounded concerned but also a little annoyed with me, "Jesus Eve. Don't say that."

Our plane took off at 10:00. Because of the time change we would arrive in San Francisco around 1:00 in the afternoon. We were to meet Diane at 3:00 at her cousin's apartment on Oak Street. Our hastily constructed plan was to go somewhere for lunch and talk about what information we wanted from Diane. We'd start to think through a plan and logistics. I was glad that he was there even though I wasn't comfortable spending so much time with him. I didn't think I could have handled it on my own, not the logistics and not talking with the police detective.