Part 2 - Chapter 2

Charlie and Jeffery were up first for breakfast. I was dressed and ready to go into the city although I didn't have to teach until later in the day. I wanted to meet Joan and talk with her about the previous night. I still had the desire to find Jeff and confront him. I was in one of those moods where I could feel the anger pumping though my blood despite my strong desire to keep up the pretense of normal. Both Charlie and Jeffery had a section of the paper. I watched them as I drank my coffee, so proud of them both. Jeffery had one more year of high school and from a baby he'd always been mild tempered and thoughtful. He was handsome but didn't have the rigid masculinity of his father. After being with Jeff so long, I came to believe that male strength belonged to men like Jeff alone. That it was derived from arrogance as well as charm. I thought it was innate. But, seeing a different kind of masculinity in Jeffery, I realized it could be something different. That a young man could project masculinity that but still be authentic and honest. And kind.

Charlie shared Jeff's outward strength, a sort of dominance. Charlie was nothing like Jeff in terms of seeing himself as privileged. He leaned towards the traditional view of women which bothered me somewhat; Charlie's attitude and actions stopped at chivalry where as Jeff's centered on control over women. Charlie also had a spark that would ignite if justice or honor were at stake. It suited him. He'd always been somewhat curious and defiant, particularly after we'd moved to Chicago. Along with a shared self-possession, Charlie bore a remarkable resemblance to his father; he had same light brown hair, deep blue eyes and the same physique. However Charlie seemed to deliberately contradict Jeff's sensibilities, lifestyle and attitude. It was very apparent that they disliked each other. I always thought it was because Jeff and I were married when Charlie was four. As a young child Charlie had me to himself and he never adjusted to Jeff assuming the role of husband and father. Charlie was also there the night at the lake when I'd tried to leave Jeff. Charlie had been in the backseat of the car and witnessed the same homicidal Jeff that I had. Through the windshield a revolver pointed at my face. Like the other two, he'd seen the effects of his father's physical abuse. Although I was sure they hadn't ever witnessed it directly, thanks to the nanny who ushered them out of the room before every incident. I supposed you could almost say he was considerate in that way; he'd called the house staff in and asked them to remove the children before the violence commenced. Although the other side of that was the eerie sense I'd had that he did have some restraint and his treatment of me was somewhat within his control. The children must have heard the yelling, my screams. They certainly saw the bruises afterwards. I took a deep breath and let it out.

"What is it mom?" Jeffry answered. I smiled at him.

I shook my head. "Nothing. I'm tired."

"Did something happen last night?" Jeffery asked.

"Why would you think that?"

"Something seems weird is all." Jeffery looked back down at the paper.

"No. Nothing happened."

Charlie looked up at me, put the paper down and just stared at me.

"What is it?"

"Clara told me what happened."

I felt my voice falter. Why did I feel like the child? It was Charlie, the way he was asking me.

"And what was that Charlie? What did your sister tell you?"
He rested his arms on the table, slowly put his hands together. He looked like the lawyer he was going to be. He stared at me for a long moment.