Chapter three

I'm in a fairly good mood when I stroll into the gym after I've finished changing. The period before was Chemistry, my favorite subject, and the teacher seemed to know what she was doing.

I notice Jordan, Julia, Kayden, and Lena all standing together when I walk further into the room and Luke not too far away from them.

"How are your classes so far?" I ask him.

He shrugs, "They're okay. I found out basketball tryouts are next week."

My eyes widen, "You're trying out for the team?"

"Yeah, it'll be different here. There won't be as many distractions."

I nod my head letting the subject drop knowing he doesn't really like to talk about it.

When the teacher walks into the gym, he immediately begins to speak, "I'm Coach Williams. We're going to be learning self-defense for the next little while so partner up. We can get started once I show you a few things."

A teacher's assistant helps the Coach with his demonstrations. I know I'm going to partner with Luke already. Since my new friends are a group of four, I assume they're going to partner up together and that would leave me without anyone.

"Grab a mat and begin," Coach calls out after finishing up and I zone back in.

I completely missed all of the moves he just showed us, but it doesn't really matter. I already know what I'm doing.

Right away Luke tries to grab me as if he was an attacker and I attempt to trip him by wrapping my leg around his, but he maneuvers out of the way managing to trip me instead. I land hard on my back and grunt at the impact.

"Be careful! She's just a girl," Coach Williams shouts at us from his spot on the bleachers.

Luke shakes his head while I glare at the teacher. Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I'm not tough. I know how to take care of myself; I've been doing it for the past year. I've trained hard at boxing for the past year. It's the only thing that's been keeping me together. If I feel like I can't protect myself, I just know I'd lose it.

Zach Coleman is my boxing trainer. He owns The Underground which is a boxing club. He's really proud of himself because he's only twenty-three and already owns a successful business. He also hosts street fights in the basement; hence the name of the club.

The students put less effort into their tasks when Coach Williams gets up and heads into his office next to the boys' locker room.

Forgetting about my phone in my pocket, I jump when the ringtone blares. Since the teacher isn't in the room, I decide to answer it. It must be important if they're calling me during the day.

"Hello?" I ask, walking away from the prying ears of other students. Luke follows me over.

"Hey sexy, what are you wearing?"

I roll my eyes. "I'm wearing a bunny costume."

"Kinky," he chuckles.

"What do you want, Zach?"

"I want to know details about this bunny costume."

"Gross," I fake gag. "You're like my brother."

"Whatever," Zach scoffs. "Anyway that's not why I actually called. Jayden showed up looking for you."

My eyes widen. "What did he want?"

"He looked like shit. He asked where you were, but I didn't tell him anything. I kicked his sorry ass out."

"What do you mean 'he looked like shit'?"

"He looked high as fuck and like he hasn't slept in days."

"Well, that's Jayden for you."

Luke's head snaps up when he hears the name and he stares hard at me.

"I just wanted to give you a heads up," he explains.

"Thanks," I sigh. "I can't believe he's asking around for me again. It's been over four months since the last time."

"I know, baby girl."

"I should go before the teacher comes back," I sigh again. "Maybe you can visit soon?"

"I'll try, but you know how busy the club gets."

"I know. I'll call you soon."

"Bye, love."

Luke keeps me from going back over to where we were working. "What's going on with Jayden?"

"It's nothing," I shake my head. "He was just asking about me."

"That isn't nothing, Quinn."

"He doesn't know where I am. He has no way of finding out."

"He better not," he says. "Or he'll have to deal with me."

Coach Williams walks back into the gym and sees us just standing there. "Get back to work!"

***

"I'm going upstairs. I'm exhausted," I tell Luke when we get home after school.

Deciding to take a bath, I walk across my room to my closet to grab some comfy clothes. Just then, I hear the roar of a loud motorcycle and move to glance out the window. It was only this morning that I discovered it was directly across from another and I made a mental note to buy some curtains.

The motorcycle's engine cuts out and I see the bike parked in the neighbor's driveway. I assume it's a man based off the size of his body, which is quite muscular by the way, and when he takes off the black helmet I let out a soft gasp.

Walking up the front porch of the house next door is none-other than Reece Daniels. It's when he put a key in the door to unlock it that I realize he lives there.

'Oh great,' I think to myself. 'The delinquent lives next door.'