Chapter two

Plump red lips, light tan skin from summer, and striking pale green eyes stare back at me as I observe my reflection in the bathroom mirror. Pushing my side bangs away from my face, I grin. My friends used to say that I had a killer smile and that boys would fall at my feet if I simply flashed my pearly whites their way, but that didn't really matter to me anymore. I didn't want boys falling on their knees for me. Not after what happened.

I jog down the stairs to the kitchen for breakfast and see Luke sitting at the kitchen table eating a bowl of cereal.

"Good morning," I chirp.

He just smiles with his mouth full making me stick my tongue out at him. I know he's making fun of me because of last night. I grab a bowl of cereal for myself and sit opposite him at the table. As I eat, I take the time to eye my twin. Luke has on a pair of dark blue jeans and a black t-shirt. He has the same shade of hair as me–styled messily–and the same green eyes we both inherited from our mother.

"Are you ready for our last year of high school?" I ask after swallowing a bite of my breakfast.

"It'll be a nice change."

"Do you think it'll be different?"

"Probably," he nods. "But it'll be easier here. No one knows about what happened back home."

Our life back home wasn't an easy one. It used to be, but everyone treated us differently after what happened. It was partly my own fault that people acted cautious around me. I was the one who pushed them all away after all. Everything was just easier if I didn't talk about it.

Luke nods toward the door, "We should get going before we're late."

Our parents had bought the Camaro for us for our sixteenth birthday and it was the last gift they bought us while they were still together.

"Don't be nervous," Luke says, starting the car.

"I'm not nervous."

He eyes me after reversing from our driveway, "Sure you're not."

Instead of replying, I reach over to turn on the radio knowing he won't believe me if I continue to argue with him. We drive in silence save for the radio until he pulls into a semi-crowded parking lot.

"Everything will be okay, Quinn. Just make a few friends and senior year will be over before you know it," he reassures me after parking into a spot.

I roll my eyes, "Easy for you to say. You're Mr. Popular."

He sighs, "Let's just get this over with."

As we exit the car, everyone doesn't turn to stare or whisper around us as the cliché would suggest. The students around the parking lot simply mind their own business and do their own thing. Since it's the beginning of September it's the first day of school for not only Luke and I, but for everyone else as well.

We wander around the halls until we arrive at the front office where an elderly woman resides at a desk in the middle of the room. She looks up at us and smiles politely, "Can I help you?"

"We're here to get our schedules," Luke answers with a smile.

She nods, "What are your names?"

"My name is Luke Casey and this is Quinn Casey."

She types something into her computer, "I'll print those out for you right now."

We stand there waiting for a moment until the hum of the printer announces that our schedules have been printed. The woman reaches under the desk pulling up two pieces of paper with our names on them.