Chapter Twenty - Possibilities

"How is he?" Duke asked the moment I got home

"He's alright. The drugs are helping the situation a whole lot"

"That's good" He sighed as I sat beside his upright position on the bed; his head propped up on the head board, his legs crossed, hands clasping each other on his stomach.

I could tell something was bothering him.
His smile was missing, his eye contact minimal. I tried to guess, and all that I could come up with, was that he was upset about me leaving him over dinner for Callum.

"Are you okay?" I asked, watching his face as his eyes wandered around the room aimlessly, rarely touching my space

"Yeah" He nodded, not at all convincing as he took one quick glance at me, weak

"Seriously, tell me. Is it because I left you at dinner?" I asked, wanting to know the truth behind his cold mood

"No. I understand, it was just bad timing is all" He mumbled, beginning to fidget with his fingers

It was rare that I would see Duke this way, fidgeting wasn't his thing, awkward wasn't his thing. It wasn't him, and it certainly wasn't helping with the guilt that bottled up inside of me.

I scooted towards him and narrowed my eyes as he looked off somewhere else. I lifted a finger and edged to his face, tracing along the bottom of his soft jaw line.
He still refused to move, and I think at that moment in time, it had become my goal to get a reaction out of him, no matter how desperate that made me seem.

I moved closer so that I was sitting closely next to his figure, I kept my eyes trained on his face, waiting for him to look at me.
It was tempting to stick my finger up his nose, or lick my finger and stick it in his ear, after all, I just wanted his attention, I just wanted him to look at me.

Instead, I leaned my face closer to his, inching my nose along the side his face until it was brushing along his jaw like my finger had.
He didn't flinch, he didn't move, it was quickly becoming frustrating.
Lightly, I began to kiss his chin, moving my lips to his jaw line near his ear, down to his neck.

Still, nothing.

I pulled away and looked at him as I caught sight of his eyes on mine, his head remained angled away.
Busted.
I couldn't help but smile, and that seemed to work best. His lips turned upwards into a small smirk, the kind that made me shiver, the kind that made me want him in every way possible.

"Are you going to give me the cold shoulder all night?" I asked, tilting my head side ways

"Maybe" He mumbled in a low voice

"Maybe?" I repeated, creasing my brows

He nodded and moved his eyes away from me again. Now it was a game.
He was teasing me, he was enjoying me diving for attention, he loved every minute of it.

I debated with the Angel and Devil on my shoulders. One telling me to give him what he wanted and play along, the other telling me to not give in, make him crawl back.

The Devil got the better of me.

I leaned toward him and watched his eyes with every movement. My lips touched the corner of his and it seemed to have worked as they twitched ever so slightly

I did it once more and again, he twitched. I leaned forward with more force, but placing my hands on either side of his torso leaning forward towards his face

I kissed him again, this time with more desperation, pressing my lips down on his fully. I was slow, teasing him back with the same frustration he gave me