Chapter Eight - Leaving

The last week of school and work had went fast. I kept my head down, my night's strictly filled with homework.
I didn't go out, I didn't work overtime, I did what I had to do to finish the work from school before leaving for my holiday.
I was looking forward to the trip, but I wasn't looking forward to the reaction I was sure to get from Callum. I hadn't mentioned it to him yet, and I had demanded that Malory didn't say a word to him about it.

Friday went by in a blur. After school, Clora hugged me repetitively, demanding for me to call her everyday and take loads of pictures to show her when I returned. She was just excited as I was, and almost acted as if she was coming along too.

I hadn't stopped thinking about the trip all week, but my excitement faded as I drove to work.
I had taken the afternoon off, but I wanted to tell Callum up front in person before I left tomorrow morning. I'd at least get a night of recovery from the fit he was sure to have.

Things between Callum and I had intensified, but not in a good way, the awkward way. Thankfully, he never pushed the kids that had occurred, and nor did I.
I didn't hover, and I didn't stick around longer than what I needed too, I just did what I had too and moved on.

"Afternoon" Malory greeted as I walked into the warm establishment

"Afternoon" I replied, a smug excited smile playing on my lips.

"Excited I see" She commented as I slowly walked past her

I nodded and made my way to the back of the kitchen.
I felt my palms sweat, my skin shiver.
I could hear Callum's radio playing, but it fell on deaf ears, Callum wasn't there.
I moved out the back door, walking towards the small dark yard.
My heart dropped when I saw his back turned to me, his body perched on the wooden table in the centre of the yard.

Slowly I walked towards him, conscious of the crunch the leaves made beneath my feet. Callum spun around and I was surprised to see him holding between his fingers a cigarette. Throughout the time I had known him, not once had a seen him smoke.

I looked inbetween him and his hand as he noticed

"It helps with stress" He lightly laughed putting out the butt with the tables end, tossing it into the bushes.

"It creates stress, especially on your lungs" I shot back, half smiling as I moved towards him, sitting down on the table, my feet on the seat

He scoffed and stood in front of me, watching, waiting.
I took that as my time to speak and bravely outed the words.

"I came by to let you know that I will be having 2 weeks off" I started, easing the topic up

"2 weeks?" He repeated watching me

"I'm going away, a little holiday" I answered casually, shrugging.

"Where too?" He edged, getting closer to the big argument

I looked at the ground and shoved my hands deeper into my jackets pockets

I sighed, "Paris"

"Paris?" He repeated, his voicing raising a little

"Paris" I confirmed looking up at him

"That's a bit more than a little holiday" He scoffed

"I guess it is" I smiled, suddenly feeling as though it wasn't going to be as bad as I had thought

"Are you going with them?" He continued on specifics

"Who else?" I replied, knowing he was going to become uncomfortable with the fact I was going with Duke and the others