The Soaring Eagle - RIP Glenn Frey

I don't usually set much store by the cult of celebrity, and I usually only type a note when I deeply respect a talent passing from the mortal shores. But, sadly, yet another noteworthy musician has passed on at the horribly young age of 67. Many people reading this may not actually recognise the name Glenn Frey immediately, but once you've listened to the vid at the top and I tell you he co-wrote that song, then you'll perhaps realise why I'm writing this. 

Hotel California (along with Stairway to Heaven by Led Zep) was a song that for many years was likely to get you booted out of a guitar shop if you started playing it, and Life in the Fast Lane is on probably every soft rock compilation ever made (these were particularly common in the late 80s for some reason). But, the musical and lyrical talent of Frey and his colleagues in the Eagles cannot be denied. They have been covered by so many other artists, both professional and amateur, and I have a feeling even the school band I was in some 25 years managed to cover one of their songs. 

The Eagles may not have been the most exciting, the most drug ridden headline making rock n rollers, or even the band that had the ladies throwing underwear at them (never quite understood that one, but then no-one wants an old pair of boxer shorts chucked at them when they're in the middle of a screaming guitar riff), but they were consummate musicians who played stunning melodies.

Go, do yourself a favour, kick back and enjoy some of their back catalogue, it's what I'll be doing for a few days. Take it Easy Glenn, enjoy one last Tequila Sunrise, and thank you for the music.