2016 - A year of mental metaphorical monkeys

Happy New Year to you all! 

Now I don't tend to set much store by new years resolutions, but I am going to try and do a bit more writing this year starting with some Orangutangents again. Besides which, Brian needs emptying out after many months of random oddity, and me mentally ingesting all sorts of weird bits and bobs since last year. So, Brian dump, incoming...

So where are we starting 2016 Brian? With mental metaphorical monkeys. 

A few days ago, one of my lovely ambassadors mentioned that 2016 is the year of the Monkey according to the Chinese calendar. This kicked Brian into life and the old 'monkeys typing the complete works of Shakespeare' theory popped into my head. Cue quick use of Google, and the more officially named infinite monkey theorem states that'a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of Shakespeare.'

Apparently "almost surely" is a mathematical term with a precise meaning (probably Maths speak for 'we know this is a complete load of baloney but it kept us amused for an entire afternoon'), and the "monkey" is a metaphor. The precise meaning of 'almost surely' is 'technically not zero' (the same as Donald Trump's IQ). 

But, all political insults and metaphorical monkeys aside (and I'm sure the Metaphorical Monkey exists in the same universe as the 'almost surely typewriter'), I'm hoping the threat of many metaphorical monkeys producing infinite output will stimulate Brian into action, and once more various Orangutangents will be hitting your screen this year. 

As always my inspiration for writing comes from my friends, my family, and those who I spend my time with on Wattpad. As the late, great Terry Pratchett (one of the saddest losses of 2015) notes "Writing is the most fun you can have by yourself." So let's have some fun, and get the mental metaphorical monkeys typing again.