The Eyes of a Stranger: Part 5

"Delphi," he said in a disgusted tone. "What the hell do you want this time?"

"It's not what I want," she said in her usual melancholy tune. "It's what you want."

"I want you to get the hell out of my life," he said and took a long hard look at her. "What's with the get up?"

"Just keeping you on your toes," she said. "Now, for the matter at hand." Her words were so cold and her voice was like ice. Her eyes suddenly changed to a hazel and she wore a smirk on her face that annoyed the hell out of him.

"Whatever it is, I'm not interested," he said.

He took a few steps away and then suddenly she appeared right in front of him blocking his way. She reverted to her usual form in her flowing white gown and long white hair cascading down, and those eyes, those damned silver eyes that swirled around like pools of silvery water. He wished he could gouge out those eyes, but that was impossible. His powers had no effect on her.

"You don't have a choice, Michael Jonathan Thomason," she said looking straight in his eyes.

"Don't call me that," he said. "I ain't that guy anymore."

"You are who you have always been, and she is who she is," Delphi said. Mike looked confused, but he knew who she was talking about. "You have to let her go."

"I can't do that," he said, but he felt a pull from some invisible force. "I love her, and nothing you can say..."

"You will destroy her if you go to her now," she said. "She's not strong enough yet, and you know it. If you will it she will remember and come to you willingly, and if she does she will die."

"That woman can handle herself," Mike said, still a victim of her trap. "She's strong, more than strong enough to..."

"Yes, she's strong, but the boy is not," Delphi said. "Your enemies will come after him first. He will die and it will destroy her and her love for you. She won't survive losing her son, and she will hate you for it. Do you want that?"

"I can protect them both," he shouted. "That's my family, and they deserve to be with me."

"Will you be so selfish to sacrifice the world for a few moments of happiness? This world is in danger, and your choices above all others will seal its fate."

"Would you stop talking in riddles, and tell me what the hell you want?" he shouted at her. "And you better set me free, or..."

"Or what? You will kill me," she said. "You know you can't do that." She circled around him until he had calmed down some. "You must set her on the path, Michael Logan."

"What path?" Mike asked. He was then released from her hold. There's no way he would walk away from her now. His curiosity would get the better of him.

"Julia Donner," Delphi said. Mike just rolled his eyes. Why would it surprise him that she knew about Julia's call? "You will convince Julia Donner to recruit Marianna Faigon for the mission. It would mean her going to New York. The boy will be safe there for the time being."

"So I'm just supposed to walk away... again?" His tone was demanding, and it was tearing him up inside. He tried not to let it show, but somehow this...creature always seemed to get him to do exactly want she wanted.

"No, you are ensuring his future," she said. "And the future of this world."

Suddenly she disappeared. Mike looked on to see that Marianna and Reese were leaving the park with that other little boy and his mother. He wanted more than anything to go to her, but he just stood there and watched when they both disappear into the distance. He wanted to hit something and hit it hard, so he took it out on the tree that was closest to him. With all the powers he possessed he couldn't have the one thing he wanted most, his family. Well, if they could not all be together at least he would keep them safe.