Chapter 13

Chapter 13

My eyes slowly open and the first thing I notice is that I am hot. Like burning up hot. Not sexy hot. I shift my gaze a bit and see that Keenan is still asleep. He looks very peaceful when he sleeps, but he is creating way too much heat for me. I try to move away, but I am locked in by his vice-like grip. Wiggling my arms out from under his, I try and carefully move his arms off of me, but he just replies by tightening his hold.

"Stop squirming," he instructs groggily.

"Keenan," I whine, "I'm hot."

"Yes, you are," he agrees. "Now go back to sleep."

"No, I don't mean like that," I respond slapping his chest lightly. "I mean that you are a freaking furnace and I'm sweating like we are in the Sahara. Now move you big lug."

"Lug? Really, cupcake," he replies, but he thankfully releases me. I roll over and pull the sheets off, suddenly grateful that they keep it at like 0º in here. I sigh when the cool air hits my skin.

"I wish you came with a temperature adjuster," I mutter before announcing, "I feel so much better." It's true because when I try to sit up, I feel next to no pain.

"The doctor said you would," Keenan responds sitting up and tousling his hair in a way that manages to actually increase his sexiness. "Said between your sped up healing and our mate bond, you would be fine after a good night's sleep."

"Well, he was right," I reply.

"Hey, cupcake?" Keenan asks suddenly.

"Yeah?" I say, cautiously. The look and vibe he is giving off right now are telling me that he is upset about something.

"Why were you so upset at the Meeting?" he asks. I can tell that it was clearly bothering him, not knowing. I sigh.

"I just," I trail off searching for the right words. "I'm not used to this. Where I come from, I definitely was not treated like anything special and to have three hundred plus people suddenly bowing to me? It's just weird."

"People are just treating you the way you deserve to be treated," he responds trailing his thumb gently across my jawline. I repress a shiver and try to focus on our conversation.

"I mean, maybe?" I reply, warily. "But, it's also that I don't know if I am cut out for this. Being a Luna I mean."

"You will be fine, Farrah," he reassures me seriously. "I believe with everything in me that you will make a perfect luna."

"That's kind of your job though," I refute. "You have to like me, but your pack doesn't. I mean I can't even shift, Keenan! I am just going to be a weak link."

He sighs and sits up, cupping my face in his hands. "Farrah, give yourself a chance. You have so much more to offer than you believe you do and if you would just wait you would see that."

"Okay," I respond, deciding to just let the subject drop. I peck him on the lips before climbing out of bed. It's not until I feel a rush of cold air hit my backside that I remember I am still wearing that stupid open-back robe thing. At least I still have my underwear on. "I need clothes."

"I don't see why," he says with a smirk. Somehow, he manages to make me feel attractive while I am wearing a completely shapeless paper robe.

"Because, I want to go and see Hazel and I can't exactly do that if every person who walks behind me can see my black lace underwear," I retort.

"You can go see Hazel later," he reasons opening his arms to me. "Right now, why don't we just enjoy our alone time. The Elders arrived this morning and if you leave the room then we will have to go the Tribunal."