Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Keep your chin up but your eyes lowered. Alphas tend to take direct eye contact as a challenge," Linda instructs, using her hands to straighten my posture.

We have been at this etiquette thing for three hours and I am about ready to commit murder. We have gone through how I should stand, sit, eat, drink, excuse myself from the table, find my seat at the table, greet other wolves–basically anything and everything I could possibly have to do has been covered.

"What don't alphas not take as a challenge," I mutter sourly. The corners of her mouth fold up a bit.

"Not much," she responds before coming to stand in front of me. "Pretend I am an alpha and try to greet me."

That is what this whole thing is about. The Meeting is in a few days and just before the Meeting starts, I, my father, and Linda will meet the rest of the alphas privately. Since I have never been off of our pack grounds, I have never actually met any alpha other than my father, so Linda is instructing me on the best way not to start a war because I unintentionally insulted someone.

It's really quite annoying actually, but I have better than other people. Because I am an alpha's daughter, I don't have to go through as many steps. Those below my rank have a hell of a lot more to do. The only people who get out of having to do anything are other alphas and their mates. So, Linda has nothing to do but incline her head and say 'it's a pleasure, alpha.' And my father can greet them like old friends. Although I don't think he has any of those. Except maybe Woodson.

"Alright," I concede wearily, before stepping back and beginning the pattern she taught me. Straightening, I train my eyes on her feet and taking her hand gently in mine, I bow, touching my forehead to the wedding band on her finger. "It is a pleasure, Alpha."

"Good. Speak softer when you say it is a pleasure. Makes you less of a threat," she corrects. I resist the urge to roll my eyes. I am practically the least threatening person they could ever meet. Compared to their super human strength, I can hardly snap a pencil in half.

"Alright," I say and then repeat what I said, but softer.

"Perfect," she announces. "You have your dress for the Meeting, but do you know how you are going to do your hair and makeup?"

I blink slowly at her. "I have never touched makeup in my life and only know basic hairstyles."

"Fine," she sighs impatiently. "I will come to your room just before it is time and fix your hair and makeup."

"Thank you," I say. For some reason, she has been exceptionally nice to me. I don't know what for, I just know that I like it. All together, this isn't a bad way to spend my last few days in the supernatural world.

"You can go ahead now. I think you've got it," she replies before giving me a slightly pleading look. "Please, when we are actually meeting the alphas, please do what I said. Your father will not be happy with either of us if you mess up."

"I will. I promise," she nods a nod of relief.

"Thank you. If that goes well, I'll distract your father so you can catch your bus," I start and stare at her in surprise. She smiles at me. "You forgot to clear your history when you snuck into my computer and ordered the tickets."

I panic. "I–"

"Don't worry, I cleared it," the smile wavers a bit as her face becomes sadder. "I know why you want to go. If I could, I would too, but I don't have that option."

"Linda," I trail off unsure what to say before finally just settling on a simple, "thank you."

"You're welcome. Now you had better go. The other packs are going to start arriving today," she smiles softly at me, "and I don't think you want to be caught in that crowd."