Chapter 3

Chapter 3

            "Is there anything else I can get you?" I ask the elderly couple. They smile and shake their heads, and I leave them to their dinner. Currently, I am waitressing at Nick's Diner. Since dropped out of school, and since I'm not really needed during school hours, my father let me get a human job the year I turned fifteen. This also helps him because now he doesn't have to pay for clothing. Since I've been working here, I have made quite the name for myself as a waitress. Many people request me to be their waitress when they come in. One of the great things about having werewolf genes, is that I have a pretty great memory, so when customers walk in, I address them by name. And that always makes them feel very special. This old place is the only thing I will miss about this town when I leave.

            I check the time and see with some sadness that my shift is over. Today is my last day at the Diner. I walk towards the kitchen, since the check out is in there. The cook's name is Big Eddie, and he is a large burly man who looks like he should be in a motorcycle gang. But, despite his appearance, he is a big softy with a passion for cooking. When he sees me approaching he shoots me a smile as I walk into the kitchen.

            "Well, this is your last day, huh?" He says with a tinge of sadness in his voice. Since I will be leaving soon, I gave Nick my two week notice a little while back. Now the whole staff and many of the patrons know. I've had many people come in and tell me how much they will miss me. But, I'll miss Big Eddie the most, since he and I have been working together for three years.

            "Yep, I'll be leaving in three days," I respond. The pack left for the Blood Moon territory today, but the official start of the Meeting isn't for another week. Since we live the furthest from Blood Moon territory, their Alpha invited us to come stay on his territory until the Meeting is over.

            "You headin' out now," I nod, and he pulls me into a bear hug, "You take care of yourself, Sweet Pea," He says, using the nickname given to me by one of the patrons three years ago, "It's a big scary world out there," he pulls away, "And don't you forget that you always got here to come back to if it gets too much," I nod and place a kiss on his cheek before heading to clock out. As I walk out I wave and he gives me a wave back, his eyes glistening with tears just like mine.

            I receive a lot of hugs and 'goodbyes' as I leave and soon, I am out the door. I start the ten minute walk to the pack house. Linda actually managed to convince my father to let me go to the Meeting, so I will be joining the rest of the pack tomorrow. The pack has already left, and I have a bus ticket booked, so I'll be leaving tomorrow morning, and I'll get there around three am the next day. Then there is one week for exploring and then the day of the meeting, which is also the day of my birthday. At seven that night, the Meeting starts, and at eight-thirty, I'll be headed for the Windy City.

            Half-Moon territory is located deep in the Appalachian Mountains, just within the border of Virginia. And the Blood Moon territory is all the way up in Maine. It's so big that parts of it actually spill into Canada also. I'm both excited and afraid of what this is going to be like. I don't know if these people will be as ruthless as they say. And if they are, I'm an easy target, so will it be just as bad or worse as it is here? The only thing that makes me feel better is the bus ticket for Chicago stowed safely away in my bag.

            I finally arrive to the pack house, and pulling out a key, I step into the empty building. I make sure to lock and barricade the door. Rogues like to attack empty pack houses. Raid them for food, and information. If they get in here, I'm as good as dead. Huh, wonder if dad knows that? Probably. I head up to the attic and finish packing. The bag I'm taking with me to Chicago is already packed with food, money, and a weeks' worth of clothes. The only thing I'm taking for the Meeting is one extra change of clothes and the dress I'm wearing.