Chapter 2

Olivia

As I was weaving through all of the people on the sidewalk trying to get to work I was grateful that there was a coffee shop in the lobby of my work building. 

It was twenty minutes till nine, and I planned on getting to work fifteen minutes early to beat the rush, but I was sadly behind schedule.

I inhaled the wonderful smell of freshly baked bread as I rounded the corner bakery, and felt my stomach grumble reminding me that I had not had breakfast. 

"I know, I know." I said out loud to myself, and then quickly glanced at my watch checking the time.

I was top of my department, but I knew if I was one minute past nine the boss would find me, and talk my ear off, and I didn't need any strikes against me right now. 

My last article had gotten mixed reviews, and they were a lot more negative than usual. That is just one of the many things on my stress list that I don't need to grow.

I checked my watch again it had only been three minutes although it felt like thirty as I stood before the looming building in front of me.  Suddenly I didn't want to go inside, but instead take a sick day.

"Snap out of it Liv" I told myself knowing good and well that I had a job to do and I didn't work this hard just to give up and get lazy.

The lobby was cold, and I was immediately annoyed, walking straight to the counter to demand a cup of coffee. Black, no sugar, no cream, just how I liked it.

 "May I help you." a familiar voice caught my attention, and as soon as he turned around I let out a sigh.

"Hey blondie." I said lowly, slightly embarrassed because of the way I probably got his hopes up last night. 

"A blondie you say?" his smile was contagious, as he reached for the sweet treat under the counter before I stopped him. "No, I was just saying--oh never mind." I stopped myself from rambling.

"Well then what can I get you?" he leaned against the counter, his eyes were full of curiosity. I relayed him my coffee order, and tapped my fingers nervously against the countertop as I watched him poor the dark liquid.

"So you're the infamous Olivia Rhea?" he said teasingly, and I raised my eyebrows. 

"I wouldn't say infamous." I was slightly offended at his lighthearted insult. He chuckled as he handed me my coffee once again leaning against the counter.

"I'm only kidding, I know who you are, you're a popular name around here." he smiled again, and I smiled back oddly enough.

I was well known because I clawed my way to the top with hard work and dedication. Writing under my pen name, Lola, just helped keep the attention to a minimum.

 "And you're Niall the bartender by night barista by day?" I asked only trying to be friendly.

"I'm impressed you actually bothered to know my name." he said faking shock, and I laughed, I liked this guy, we were going to get along just fine.

 I sighed "Yes, I'm not a completely cruel person." I glanced at my watch again.

He gave me a curious look, and I suddenly felt guilt creeping up in the pit of my stomach. "Listen Niall, I know you're a nice guy." I started, and he laughed. 

"What?" I asked genuinely confused. "Look Ms. Rhea, can I call you that? I knew the second I wrote my number down you weren't going to call it."

He seemed happy as can be as he said this, so I wasn't sure if he was smiling through the pain, or he was genuinely that carefree.