Chapter 10

After a long grueling process, we finally found someone we could adopt from. When our daughter was born, Anthony was at his best point. 8 months clean. We named her Hailie Grace Hecox-Padilla. It was so amazing, but the happiness didn't last long. Within a few months, Anthony began slacking off.

I went into her nursery to make sure she was okay, sleeping normally. She was whining a lot in her sleep, like she was living a nightmare. "Hey, baby girl.... Shhh, daddy's here." I put my hand on her back and she was burning up. "Oh my God, Anthony!" I called. He walked in and smelled like a damn winery.

"What the fuck do you want now, you needy little bitch?" He slurred. I shrugged off his insult and woke Hailie up.

"She's burning up." I said, unwrapping her from her blanket. I grabbed the thermometer and put it under her arm. She cried out, hating the way it felt. "I know baby, I'm so sorry." I said, calming her down.

"It's my problem how?" Anthony asked. He pulled me away from her. "You woke me up for this?"

"Anthony I'm not fucking around, that's my daughter, let me go." I said trying to push around him. He pushed me full force into the wall. "Back to the beginning aren't we Anthony..." I mumbled getting up and restarting the thermometer.

"And that's not your daughter. That's a fucking child that someone couldn't be bothered to take care of, so we have to do that for 18 years." He said. Her temperature was super high. I picked her up, changed her diaper and fed her, dressed her and I called her doctor.

"We'll talk about you later." I said grabbing my keys, heading out the door to the hospital.