A Small Box and a White Envelope

Start from the beginning

---Mick Harper---

“I look like a mess.” I whisper in his chest. “You smell good.” I sniff his shirt. He laughs. I feel the vibrations in his chest.

“You look fine. I love you Mick, so that’s one person.” Wow, great Derek. Good way to cheer me up. Let’s throw it back in my face. Sorry, I’m being moody.

“You’re family. You’re supposed to say that.” I laugh. “Derek, you don’t know how bad it is over there. I’m on 15 different medications. I have PTSD. So many people died and I almost did too. They think I’m a hero. I was just doing my job. I’m just a small town girl from North Carolina.”

The two of us are still sitting on the floor.

“Arizona, stop this. Those five guys you saved don’t think you are a terrible person. Their families are extremely grateful for you right now.” I just sniffle.

“Do they have kids? Any of the men?” Derek asks me.

“Yeah three of the guys do.” I wipe my eyes with the hem of my shirt. 

“Those kids get to grow up with their daddy and that’s because of you.” Derek smiles at me. I stay quiet.

“Derek, do you have an envelope and stamp?” I change the subject remembering something I should have done a long time ago.

“Yeah, hold on a second.” He stands up to find me one. I write a quick letter and place the ring in the envelope. “I will need to mail this.”

“The ring?” He walks to me. I nod.

“So you aren’t going to marry him?” He questions.

“Not today. Not ever.” I set the envelope on his fire place mantel. “Hey where am I sleeping?” I yawn. 10 hours of travel with a little kid kicking your seat really isn’t my cup of tea.

“You can take my bed.” He smiles and sits on the couch.

“If it’s ok I will just take the couch. I need to Skype my mom and sister.”

“That’s fine. I will be in my room if you need me.” He walks off to his room. Once I hear his door shut I pull out my laptop and Skype with some of my family.

An hour goes by and I walk to his bedroom door. I knock and I hear him say come in. I peak my head in and say, “Hey I have a question.”

“Yeah? Come in. I don’t bite.” I walk next to his bed and sit by him.

“Will you be my date to the ceremony? As a friend of course. But I just wanted one of my friends to be there.” I smile.

“I’d love to.” He laughs. Thank God, I thought he was going to say no.

“Thanks.” I smile, getting off his bed.

“When is it?” He asks continuously messing with his phone.

“Umm. Like a week. That’s why I came here, to London. I didn’t want to be where all the crazy people are. Plus my mother is planning on smothering me to death.” He laughs. “We would have to leave in 4 days though.”

“That is fine with me. Wait. I’m only being your date if you are mine to one of my parties my friend is having.” That sneaky little twat.

“Sure I guess. I do need to get out some.” We both laugh. “Good night, soldier.”

“Good night, Arizona.” He smiles.

“Stop calling me, Arizona!” I yell at him once I realized what he called me.

“Stop calling me, soldier!” He argues, crossing his arms over his chest.

“I call everyone soldier.” I laugh. “Thanks for letting me stay here. I didn’t purposely come here to mooch off you. I do have money for a hotel. I just needed to talk to you. I’m very grateful to have you as my best friends.” He stans up and walks over to hug me. Something I just needed, a hug. His tall body overlooks my 5’6’’ structure.

“Night.” I smile. He kisses my forehead.

“Night Mick.” I shut his door and go to the couch. I wrap up in a blanket and I before I fall asleep I set my alarm for 5 am. I need to go on a run in the morning.

Maybe I can clear my head.

__________________________

COmment

Vote

Share

Sing

DAnce or all of the above! thank for reading

-Mae