A Small Box and a White Envelope

Chapter 2-

A Small Box and a White Envelope.

-Derek James-

Something is up. Usually I can read her like a book. There is worry and distress in her eyes. The way she puts on a fake smile and she won’t look me directly in my eyes. She is going to break. Or she is broken and she is trying to hold herself together for a little bit longer. How do I know all this? She is my best friend; she can read me the same way. It’s freaky.

She walks out of the bathroom and sits on the couch next to me. She is holding two things in her hand, one small box and an envelope.

“So the reason I have been so jumpy lately is because of this first one. It’s also hard to explain.” She picks up the letter and runs it between her fingers.

“Um so not too long ago, when I was in the Middle East, I can’t say where exactly I was. I saved 5 men’s lives. Well more than 5 and I lived to tell about it, so that’s kind of a big deal. More or less. I will be receiving the Medal of Honor award. It’s a big deal because this is the highest recognition a person can get and I’m the first woman to receive it. I’m only 24. So this is unheard of. There will be a big ceremony and dinner at the White House. The president will be giving me the award.” She finishes.

“Oh my God! Mick! That’s Amazing!” I hug her. “You are so incredible. Really you are. You have such a kind heart and this just proves it even more.” I whisper in her ear and I pull away to smile at Mick.

“Don’t be such a sap.” I laugh.

“Tomorrow I’m taking you out to dinner to celebrate.” I offer.

“You don’t have to.” She shakes her head.

“You are my best friend, of course I am. Ok so what is in the small box?” I point to the tiny box in her lap. Mick starts fidgeting with her hands and she only does that when she is nervous. 

“Please don’t freak out.” She reaches for the box.

“Ok.” I nod, preparing myself for what could be in there.

“Um so this guy I have been seeing for a while and he…he kinda… just look.” She hands me the box. I open it up and it’s an engagement ring. I should have seen that one coming.

“You’re engaged?” I ask bewildered as I pick up the ring from the box.

“I don’t know!” She stands up and starts pacing.

“Do you love him?” I question; placing the ring back in the small red velvet box. Wow its even shaped like a heart; I really should have seen this coming.

“I don’t know that either! I don’t think so. He was more of a “friends with benefits” relationship. I feel terrible. He wrote me a note and handed me the box before I got on the plane. So 10 freaking hours I had to think about him! That’s too long Derek!” She breaks down and starts to cry.

She falls on her knees, heavily sobbing. I walk next to her and sit by her. I pull her into my chest; I have one arm around her back and the other on the back of her head.

“Shh. Mick its ok.” I try and calm her down, but she only gets more worked up.

“Derek, I’m a terrible person. I can’t get married. I’m only 24. He doesn’t love me. No, one loves me. I’m a cruel bitch.” She sneers at the last sentence.

“Arizona! Don’t ever say that!” I snap at her. I hate when she decides to throw herself a pity party and I’m not invited.

“Why are you my friend, Derek? You are such a great person and I’m the devil’s spawn.” She starts sobbing again and I pull her back to me. i think she has it confused. Why is she friends with me?