Chapter Forty-Six

Start from the beginning

I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they let my team win on purpose just because it was me. Not that I minded.

I took my phone out and noted the time, it was pushing midnight and still no call from Alessio. He must still not be home. If he had arrived home and found me not there he would have showed up already to drag me home by my hair. With a shrug I slipped it back into my purse. One more game of pool, and I'd go home

So we played and we drank until last call. It wasn't until then that I realized how dead the bar had gotten. I absolutely insisted that the boys let me pay for their drinks. Well, Alessio technically since he put way more into our bank account than I did but I was much too drunk to care about any of that.

I leaned over the bar next to a pair of men to catch the bartender's attention. He seemed surprised when I asked for all of the tabs and made sure to leave a generous tip. As I started to scribble my name drunkenly I couldn't help but over hear a single word that caught my attention from the man beside me who was on the phone.

"Si."

I slowed my writing down and tried to slur through the thoughts running through my head. There were several very real possibilities here. One, this man could be Italian, is that such an odd thing to believe? Hell he could have even been Spanish. Two, he could be one of Alessio's guys, it honestly wouldn't be the first time he'd had someone following me when he wasn't around. Three, I could have walked into a bar completely alone and ran right smack into men from another family, men who were none to fond of me. Or four, he could have said "I see" to his friend or something else totally innocent or I could be so drunk I misheard the guy completely and was freaking out over nothing now.

I wrote slowly and focused all of my attention to the two men. Maybe it was my imagination but I swear I could feel them watching me. I could barely hear the one on the phone as he'd dropped his voice as low as possible. So low in fact that the first time he spoke he had to repeat himself a little bit louder because even the person on the other end couldn't make out his words with the bustle of the bar behind him. "Non rompere I miei coglioni."

(Don't break my balls.)

He turned away from me and I tilted my head to smile flirtatiously at the bartender as I slid the receipt back to him though was really just trying to hear better. "Si sono sicuro. È lei."

(Yes I'm sure. It's her)

Talking in Italian in a hushed tone while monitoring my every move, probably not a good sign. I politely and discreetly made my way back to the pool table. I said my goodbyes too quickly and hurried out of the bar, over my shoulder I heard the bartender yell and curse at someone who was trying to leave without paying.

Definitely not a good sign.

About a block away from the bar I thought perhaps I should have asked the guys to walk me to my car. Too late for that now. Then again, asking them to walk me could have costed them their lives and that wasn't something I needed on my conscience either. I stopped in my tracks when my car finally came into view, I was still a good two blocks away but even still I could see the empty parking lot and the two men leaning against the hood of my car.

Okay, not a problem. I should probably turn around and call someone. I dug in my purse and took a few steps forward, acting nonchalant like I had no clue these people were going to rape me and cut me limb for limb, which by the way was the absolute worst thing I could have thought about just now.

I pulled my phone out, pretended I had suddenly forgot something at the bar and turned around again. Well shit, the two from the bar were coming in my direction.