Chapter 6: Happiness is a reward

(Third person POV)

Little did Ryuzaki know, that as he was remembering falling for Light at the park, Light was remembering the same thing. Except, he remembered how he was genuinely happy when he had made Ryuzaki, the seemingly emotionless detective, smile.

(Light's POV)

It was such a clear memory. I loved that moment. I had made Ryuzaki smile, and that's all I could've asked for that night. I had gotten him to take a break, and make him smile as well.

I also remember the night when I had gotten him to finally sleep. That was when I had gave in and came to terms that I had fallen for Ryuzaki.

But I can't think like that now... I'm Kira. Ryuzaki, or rather, L is my worst enemy. If kept having these feelings, then I would be throwing away the new world I have been working so hard for.

I sighed, clutching my head as the thoughts started to hurt my brain. I got up, deciding to go look for Ryuzaki. I walked around the entire building, until I finally arrived at his room. I knocked on the gently. No answer. A little harder. No answer. I tried the door handle, but it was locked.

"Ryuzaki?" I called through the door. Again, no answer. He has to be in there though, or why else would the door be locked?

"Ryuzaki!" I yelled through the door. I started knocking repeatedly, until finally I heard a lock click.

I tried the handle one more time, and this time the door actually opened. I walked in, looking around the room. My eyes caught Ryuzaki standing in a corner, staring out the window.

"What are you doing? Are you okay?" I asked, trying to keep my voice even and not sounding like I was either going to hug him or rip his head off. Because for some reason, that was the edge my mind had settled on.

He still didn't answer, so I walked over to him, looking at what he was staring at.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Ryuzaki's POV)

Light walked over and stared out the window as well, visibly amazed. Maybe he was remembering the evening at the park as well? Hopefully...

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" I spoke up.

He looked at me and nodded, a small smile on his lips. We just stood there for a couple moments in silence, not looking away. Suddenly, he pulled me into a hug, squeezing my skinny frame. Slowly, I hugged back, wrapping my arms around his waist. I snuggled my head into his shoulder, burying my face in his shirt.

Another small tear escaped my eye, then another. I could barely hold them back. It hurt a little knowing the one that you loved would be the cause of your death. Light Yagami is Kira. I'm L. We're meant to be enemies...

"Hey, what's wrong?" Light grabbed my shoulders and pulled away a little looking at my face. His voice sounded gentle... like he really cared.

"Nothing is wrong, Light-kun," I said, looking back at the window, trying to hide my face from Light.

"Really? We both know that's know not true. Please, tell me," He urged, hugging me once again from the side.

"It's just... it's nothing..."

He hugged harder, like he was protecting me. I gave in. I let the tears out. You won, Kira. You broke me. Happy?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Light's POV)

"You okay now?" I asked after he stopped crying as much. I looked down at the frail boy in my arms. Who would've guessed- the world's greatest, most genius, emotionless, unbreakable detective was standing broken in the arms of Kira, an ex-suspect, ruthless murderer, and the detective's greatest enemy.

"Light... tell me. Is anyone ever 'okay?'" Ryuzaki asked.

"Well... I guess not really."

He wrapped his arms around me, clinging on as if I was his lifeline. I really wish we could stay like this... I wish that I didn't have to kill him... why am I Kira again?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(third person)

The two boys stood there for lord knows how long, neither wanting to let go. Light held Ryuzaki in his embrace, and Ryuzaki snuggled up to Light's chest.

The two stood there, looking out of the window as the colors of the sky changed as evening turned to twilight, and twilight to night. The stars were shining alongside the moon as the sky darkened, and the unknown lovers settled in front of the window.

Finally, Light spoke, breaking the peaceful silence that had made its way between the two.

"Ryuzaki?" He spoke.

"Yes, Light-kun?" For the first time since Light had met Ryuzaki, the detective spoke in a non-monotone voice. You could actually hear some emotion somewhere in his voice.

"Are you happy yet?" Light asked. He had hoped to be able to make the detective happy for the night, because even though Light was the almighty Kira, he couldn't predict the future. He didn't know where they'd be tomorrow, and wanted to make Ryuzaki happy for at least this night.

His hopes came crashing down, however, when he barely heard Ryuzaki mumble, "Is happiness supposed to be this painful?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Ryuzaki's POV)

It kept replaying over and over in my head, and each time the bells just got impossibly louder and louder. I didn't have much time left...

"Ryuzaki?" Light said suddenly.

I looked up at him, seeing him watching me in his arms. He had a gentle look on his face that I just prayed was real. "Yes, Light-kun?"

"Are you happy yet?"

'I know he's trying to be nice, but what kind of fucking question is that?' I thought.

"Is... Is happiness supposed to be this painful?" I mumbled. I wasn't sure if Light had heard me or not, but when he responded after a while, I knew he did.

"Sometimes... Sometimes you have to work hard for happiness, no matter how much sadness or pain you might have to endure along the way. Think of it like... A light at the end of the tunnel. Happiness the reward for all the hardships you faced along the way."

"Light-kun?"

"Hmm?"

"You're my Light at the end of the tunnel."